Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissas_gw

Is it Blood Grass or is it Pennisetum Rubrum? Help!

melissas
17 years ago

I am new to gardening, and even newer to ornamental grasses. I bought 6 pots of unmarked (shame on me) grasses at a benefit auction. To me they looked like blood grass. After I bought them someone told me they were pennisetum. I have been searching Gardenweb and the internet to find pictures and facts to compare these two grasses with what I have. I just can't tell what they are! My grasses are green at the base and gradually turn red toward the tip. I pulled them out of the pot and don't see any rhizomes, just roots. Are there any telltale signs that will indicate which grass I have? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (3)

• donn_
    17 years ago

If they flower, they're probably not Blood Grass. 'Red Baron' is the most common cultivar of Blood Grass, and it doesn't flower.

Of course, they could also be one of the red Panicums, or some other red foliage grass, like Uncinia uncinata (Red Sedge).

Can you post a picture or two for us? Close-ups would help.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Fountain grass is usually much more full in the pot. It also grows up and outwards. From a clump base the top is much wider than the base. If that makes sense.

The blood grass grows straight up. No clump or fountain effect.

A photo would be a big help

• melissas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My digital camera is not working, but I will borrow one from my friend tomorrow and post a picture. Thanks for your help so far.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider
More Discussions