Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connecticutian18

Mildew, vine borer, or both?

Connecticutian18
9 years ago

Several of my pumpkin plants are developing white patches and botches on their leaves. However, there are different patterns of patches that lead me to believe this could be two separate problems. Can anyone help identify the problem(s)?

I've attached photos.

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• Connecticutian18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another

• LCaroline12
    9 years ago

I think the leaf in your first picture looks perfectly healthy, just looks like the leaf pattern. I know the leaves on my cushaw squash plants have patterns that look like that. Here's a picture from the internet.

Your second picture looks like it could be powdery mildew. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. That's my understanding, anyway! I have some powdery mildew starting in some of my plants too.

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

It is better to treat powdery mildew, before it appears as a preventative. Cucurbits are notorious for getting PM. Once it has it, you can only maintain the plant. You want to spray the plants every two weeks or after it rains. You can use baking soda and water, potassium bicarbonate and water or milk and water. I use raw milk and water. I do about 20% milk and the rest water in a 1 gallon sprayer. I start spraying them as strong seedlings. Spray both the bottom and tops of the leaves and the whole plant. I always spray in the evening. Some spray in the early morning. Last year, my plants got PM and I was able to keep them going till the end of the season by spraying them. This year, I've done preventative treatment. You can trim the worst leaves, just don't take too many leaves off because it can scald the fruit. And sanitize your shears and hands afterwards to keep from spreading the PM. I hope your plant comes back :)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Agree with the others. The first pic is just normal silvering of the leaves. Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

The second pic, however, is powdery mildew. For that you need to spray fungicides to help control it (note that I did not say "cure").

Rodney

• Connecticutian18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! You've all been extremely helpful. Just to confirm the pattern on the first plant is normal, the plant also has sort of black spots inside of it's vertices. Here's a picture. That's normal too?

• cyngardener
    9 years ago

i am growing squash and my plant has the black pigment exactly like yours too. I m a newbie so I dunno if there is any problem with it.

• oldgardenguy_zone6
    9 years ago

The junction of the stem/vine where it's darker green I have pumpkins like that and they will put down a root there if its in contact with the soil and kept a little damp

Sponsored