Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
den_vic

Victoria Flowers for Ontario Snowbelt Residents

den_vic
18 years ago

Here are Victoria spring flowers (2006) for the residents of Ontario who can't wait for spring. People out here forget that it's winter in the east. I remember being impatient for spring at this time back in Ontario. Victoria is quite the change with millions of spring flowers before March. Flower count at 221 million after first day. If you love spring, retire to Victoria. Elliot Lake is cheaper but Victoria is worth the extra bucks if you are not allergic to the diverse flora and a kazillion blossoms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring 2006 Blossoms from Victoria, BC

Comments (5)

• joicey
    18 years ago

Beautiful, I live in Minneapolis. 39 degrees cloudy gloomy.
    I'm so jealous

• sunkeeper
    18 years ago

Denise you can have all your fog, rain, mold and drizzle, give me a grow light and snow any day over that. Not everyone agrees your choice of home is paradise.

No jealousy here, just lots of flowers to tend to each and every day when I'm not out playing in the snow.
    Bird of Paradise

Tropicals galore

• den_vic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You are comparing Victoria Prince Rupert. I don't get much more in the difference of winter clouds compared to southern Ontario. You guys get tons of weather all year. My summers are sometimes too dry which contradicts all the bs I heard in Ontario before moving. Southern Ontario is not northern Ontario. Victoria is not even Vancouver either. When I lived in northern Ontario, southern ontario was talked about as the best gardening area in Canada. After travel to different countries, I came to realize how southern Ontario had long and relatively cold winters for its latitude. If your statement had been correct, I would have chosen to live in Halifax. BTW, you probably get more fog than I do because fog is not common here in Victoria. It is more common in sw Ontario. Did you know that it rains more at Niagara then Victoria on a annual basis? My problem with Victoria are the dry summers. Other places get sufficient summer rain but the rainshadow has a greater impact in summer.

Exactly, plants inside back in Ontario. Ontario is so sterile. It would actually irritate me. I have palms outside which is a huge change from snow in April. Not all exotics of course but at least flowers, trees and plants for every month of the year. Winter is OK and serves its purpose but it is too long and brutal out east. Entire streets are lined with trees loaded with spring blossoms -right now here in Victoria. I can enjoy the outdours as a gardener should! I can grow things that I could never even imagine in Ontario. I got tired of the Ontario indoors!

I had no interest in gardening in Ontario but as I moved out here I gained interest. Gardening is amazing here and the sun has something to do with it. Victoria has a lot of rich folks. A reason is the climate. The reason why houses cost so much. It's not industry bringing folks to live here.

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Flowers -That's Victoria

• lisa03
    18 years ago

Den vic - sorry to hear that you find Ontario sterile and irritating. I've lived many years in Vancouver (which gets lots of rain and fog but also has a very long growing season) as well as in Southern Ontario and enjoyed them both. Most people, even passionate gardeners, choose their home for many reasons in addition to gardening, and can find tremendous pleasure from multiple aspects of gardening, whether it be long growing seasons, distinct seasons, indoor winter gardening,... In Ontario, I love to see my variety of witchhazel blooms against snow and was sad to see the snow melt so soon this year. In Vancouver, I loved the masses of blooms of 10+ foot high rhododendrums. I love Vancouver's early spring and love Ontario's fall colours. One of the great pleasures of gardening is sharing our pleasure and passion with other gardeners. Please continue to show us your great photos at any time of year, but don't assume everyone shares your own particular preferences or irritations. I think sunkeeper was trying to remind you that some people do in fact love winter.

• sunkeeper
    18 years ago

Exactly Lisa, it gets pretty tiring listening to how someone always appears to think the "grass is greener". It's all in what you like to do to garden and Ontario certainly doesn't hold me back one bit. I too have palms growing all year long and it makes no difference to me whether they be inside a wall or outside it.

I don't envy the west coast, I actually feel sorry for them in that they miss so much Mother Nature has to offer. Fall colour, Jack Frost and the ways he can paint the most beautiful pictures, so many different birds. I'll take Ontario any day thank you very much!

Glad you have the flower lined streets Denis, that's nice. We're all looking at the wonders of spring now and enjoying every minute of it.

Sunkeeper