Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peedeejones

Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato

peedeejones
19 years ago

Does anyone have the history of his tomato?

I am an Astronomy major and I found this heirloom variety's name very interesting. I purchased a pack and am wanting to know more about it.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Does anyone have the history of his tomato?

It is one of many recently bred in Russia and was named after their most famous pioneering cosmonaut.

That's it, plain and simple. ( smile)

When SSE first received it along with some other Russian varieties I trialed it for them and was not all that impressed although some others seem to like it as an early variety along with Clear Pink Early, another Russian bred variety.

Carolyn

• galina
    19 years ago

Cmdr Volkov together with Senior Space Engineer Martinov give fascinating talks about space, the space stations MIR and ISS and life in space and we had the opportunity to attend.

For example:
    http://www.cawas.freeserve.co.uk/Rogers/cos1.htm

At the end they patiently answer questions and I asked about Cosmonaut Volkov tomato. He smiled at the unusual question, then explained that they had been given Siberian tomato seeds to take into space with them. These were subsequently grown out and were found to be different compared to before (radiation levels in space?). The best were named 'Cosmonaut Volkov' in his honour and have been propagated ever since.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville