Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
binerbabe_gw

heirloom apple trees

binerbabe
18 years ago

I recently discovered a stand of heirloom apple trees that a friend's family owns. These trees are over 100 years old, possibly even 200 years old. The family has records of kin living here since 1810. I've been told they are black-skinned apples, and very sweet tasting. There are about 10 of these trees left in an old orchard on top of the mountain. They are about 15 feet tall. I've only seen them in the winter, so I can't describe any other features about them yet. I'd like to try to graft a tree and see if I could get it to grow at home. Can anyone tell me how to do this? My other option is to wait until the apples mature in the fall and collect seeds. Any thoughts, please. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• redbrick
    18 years ago

I'm not sure, but it sounds like your apple trees are Arkansas Black, which are definitely worth preserving.

The bad news is that you can't grow more from seed. Apples just don't grow true to type. Not only would the offspring be unrecognizeable, chances are they wouldn't produce apples worth eating.

The good news is grafting is very easy to learn. You can find plenty of instructional material on the web. Try keywords like "grafting method", fruit grafting", or "whip-and-tongue". Once you've studied the methods, practice on some apple prunings. Make sure they're apple, as other woods have a different feel.

You can get rootstocks from established trees sporting suckers, as long as the suckers have their own roots. If you want dwarf trees, get your suckers from dwarf trees, as the root determines the tree size. You can make a tree throw suckers by root pruning with a shovel 2 or 3 feet from the trunk.

Use water shoots for scion wood. These are the long, straight shoots that remind you of pencils. If none are available, prune a tree by about a third, and this will stimulate shoot growth.

Keep in mind, if you need to generate suckers or shoots, they will only be available next year.

One final thought: Check with your local extension agent or living history museum, as there may be a class available. That's how I learned.

• binerbabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely be doing some research on grafting now. And I'll contact the local extension agent too. Can't wait to see what these trees and the apples look like next year so hopefully I can figure out what they are!

• vgary
    18 years ago

Big Horse Creek Farm specializes in Appalachian Mountain Apple Trees in Ashe County North Carolina. I am posting their site for you so youcan see the varieties they carry as well as the root stocks they use. Hope you find this helpful.
    Gary/Louisville

http://www.bighorsecreekfarm.com/