Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marklee_gw

looking for Marrowstem Kale seed

marklee
19 years ago

I obtained an heirloom kale variety over 20 years ago from Peace Seeds, a seed company that no longer exists. I haven't saved seed since the first year I grew it. I recently had a request for this kale from a gardening friend. I tried to germinate some of the 20 year old seed, but there just wasn't any life in it. I can order some from a UK company, but I need to order from them by the kilo. It is not in the SSE Yearbook. The British government seedbank has offered me some if I work with the US government repository to get it into the US system. Before I go through that effort, I thought I would ask this forum for help... Does anyone have Marrowstem Kale seed in their collection? It's OK if it is old seed, as long as it has been in storage no more than 10 years. What is Marrowstem Kale, you might be thinking? It is a kale that the British grow for their cattle, and it gets really big. As a human, I enjoy the plant more for the trunk that develops than for the leaves. The center of the trunk, or stem, is very tasty after roasting like certain meat bones are, hence the name "marrowstem".

-Mark Lee, Seattle

Comments (15)

• Mary_in_pnw
    19 years ago

Sounds interesting Mark. I can't help you, but you might check the Canadian forum. There are a number of Canadian growers on the tomato forum as well who grow a variety of heirlooms. Bet they maintain some British heirlooms. Can't remember the name of the Canadian equivalent of the Seed Savers Exchange, but you might check there too. Certainly a question you can ask on the Canadian forum.

And here's a thought. If you have any old seed still left, have you thought about soaking it in water, dilute kelp/fish mixture, tea or even Miracle Grow if necessary? Dr. Carolyn Male on the tomato forum has suggested stuff like Miracle Grow or just plain water for very old tomato seeds to revive them a bit. I have tried all the above for my very old, heirloom seed. It does work sometimes, so perhaps it would for your old seed. Sometimes I have found that instead of seed taking 3-7 days to sprout for instance, it may take several weeks with old seed.

Good luck in your search. Wasn't Peace Seeds down here in Oregon, Corvallis I think? Can't remember the name of the fellow who owned it, but I think he still lives in the state.

Mary, who would be interested in trying that kale. I will follow this thread with interest.

• canadiantomato
    19 years ago

Yes, Mary, Alan Kapuler is the person to contact about this one. Even if he is no longer offering it through Peace Seeds, he may reoffer it knowing there's a need.

BTW, the kale is not currently offered through Seeds of Diversity Canada. That said, Jim Ternier, who happens to be VP of SODC, maintains an extensive collection of seed beyond what is on his website for Prairie Garden Seeds. If he doesn't have it, he would still be a good contact for possible alternative sources.

I'll also check our government gene bank and report back.

Another thought is to post something on the UK forum.

Jennifer

• canadiantomato
    19 years ago

My goodness, did you see the posting from the famous UK seedsman Thomas Etty above (Dates of Introduction)? There's a thought.

Jennifer

• canadiantomato
    19 years ago

Mark, I found quite a few sources for Marrowstem Kale in the UK, most of whom offer it in small packets. It's not in the Canadian gene bank, but it is a recommended fodder by the Alberta government and a few northern states. It must be around and on offer to farmers here, perhaps through farmers coops.

Have you done a Google search yet? I just did and found heaps of material, including a gene bank in the Netherlands which does, albeit slowly, make their collection material accessible. I expect you'll find seed in no time. Good luck!

Jennifer

• canadiantomato
    19 years ago

Can you tell that I have a library/research background????

Found it in my Garden Seed Inventory, 5th ed.

Kale, Marrowstem (Green Marrowstem)- Edible swollen stalk, 24-30 in. tall x 4 in. dia., superb vegetable when young, harvest whole plant in fall and store, not affected by light frost, milk producing, very nutritious, abundant leaves, forage or cover type, good autumn livestock feed.

Only 1 source listed (and why am I not surprised which one): Horus Botanicals. Contact only by mail at HCR Rt. 82, Box 29 Salem AR 72576. Last catalogue was $3 and more than worth it. Amazing.

That's all, folks. :>)

Jennifer

• Mary_in_pnw
    19 years ago

Hey Mark,

Let us know how it goes with this one.

Jennifer, you are amazing. Love a research fanatic.

Mary

• Thomas_Etty
    19 years ago

Mark,

Hope this helps

Graines Baumaux

4910 - Choux Fourragers - MOBLANC amelioration du Chou Mollier. (Choux Mollier is the Marrow-stem Kale noted by Vilmorin in the 1885 edition of The Kitchen Garden.)

email: contact@graines-baumaux.fr

Regards

Thomas Etty Esq

• marklee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input. I just returned from vacation and surprised to see all the discussion! I tracked down some Green Marrowstem seed through a US government source. I'll see what other varieties are available by following the leads that were discussed.
    -Mark

• sigma
    18 years ago

I have been searching for Marrow Stem Kale seed for well over a month. While I have found some sources in the UK, I hit a stone wall when I mention that a Phyto Sanitary Certificate is required by U.S. customs to import seed
    (unless you have a personal contact who will bookleg a pkg in a mail envelope) I do not have one.

I am still looking, most sources just do not reply, but if anyone has thoughts on this problem, please reply to my Email: sigma@ix.netcom.com as well as to this list.

many thanks,

Sigma

• bcday
    18 years ago

Mark, I found a Marrowstem kale in the 2005 SSE Yearbook on page 174. Is that the kind of Marrowstem kale you are looking for?

-- BC --

• canadiantomato
    18 years ago

Peace Seeds is back in business. See my post on your other thread.

Jennifer, who should have looked at this thread before posting earlier

PS I have a source in Canada too.

• npthaskell
    16 years ago

I'm still interested in your search.

Grampian forage kale is a population derived from 16 marrowsttem kales.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grampian forage Kale

• npthaskell
    16 years ago

Gruner forage kale may be a marrowstem.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Zealand Forage Brassicas

• yakimabelle_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Interestingly enough, I'm thinking of planting thousand headed as a chicken forages since marrowstem doesn't work as well for feeding chickens according to the references I can find.....

• wesley_va
    13 years ago

I obtained seed for Marrowstem kale from the Vavilov seed bank in St. Petersburg, Russia a number of years ago. You would think that they would be a good resource but the stems of these plants are not as swollen as you might expect. They are variable plants with different leaf shapes and vein coloration, 4 - 5 feet tall and extremely cold hardy. Have seed to share if you are still looking.

Wesley