Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

haven't tried hib. before- when to start trop. for zone 5?

cheerpeople
18 years ago

I have some different types of seeds from trade- red shield, also

one that's supposed to get 6 ft tall with red flowers, and one that has yellow flowers- I don't think any will be hardy here.

I don't have a green house so these will be started in the house.

When do I need to start them if I can't plant them out 'til june 1( due to high winds and frost in MAy?)

I would like to see flowers and I would like to get some height out of these.

I just read to nick and soak here. so lmk about a start date and I think I will be all set:)

Thx, Karen

Comments (2)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

This is a late response to your post but usually the recommendation is to start seeds 6 - 8 weeks before your last frost date. So if you start during the first weeks of April, they should be good to go out in June. I am about to start some tender veggie seeds (tomatoes, etc) this weekend myself in order to have them out by around Memorial Day when the ground has hopefully warmed up enough.

If what you have are hardy hibiscus, they may be able to survive in your area if you mulch them well. They are late bloomers but once they get going in warm soil, they should grow pretty fast.

• shiollie
    18 years ago

Hi Cheerpeople, This is another late answer but I also live in zone 5 and I have many hardy hibiscus that I leave out every winter, I just cut them down to the ground and they come back every year. It sounds like you have a "Lord Baltimore" I would leave it in the container for the first year and then plant it in the ground. They do grow very fast in warm weather and you will have to stake it because the stems get very heavy and will flop to the ground.

Sponsored