Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinchicago

Do I prune a baby hibiscus?

erinchicago
18 years ago

I have a Rose of Sharon, Blue Satin, that I planted last June. It's maybe 1 foot tall now. Being that it's still so small, do I prune it? Are there any good links on exactly how to do this as I'm not real sure what I'm doing...especailly since it seems like there's not much to prune...Thanks!

Comments (3)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Hhhmmmm....
    If you were talking about a tropical hibiscus, I'd definately know the answer.
    BUT! I bet you can go ahead and prune. Those plants are pretty hardy.
    Why are you thinking about pruning it? To make it bushier?
    Barb

• kathleenor
    18 years ago

Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes they are in pots so I would like to keep them from getting too tall. Maybe they are 3 ft tall now. Also what type of fertilizer?

Thank you

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I usually let babies grow before pruning so they can establish a good root system. Since hibs bloom on new growth, they can be pruned without losing blooms during a season in warmer areas. However I think that once yours is established, then you can prune for size and know that it can regrow in the shape you want because it would then have a good root base.

They can take standard fertilizers like Osmocote (which is slow-release and takes the work out of fertilizing - just add some on top of the soil in the pot every 3 - 6 months depending on the label directions).

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH