Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
g8toruss

Hibiscus pruning

g8toruss
16 years ago

Hi - I reside in Central Florida (Zone 9).

I have several Hibiscus on my property (various colors). I have never pruned them...occassionally the man who cuts our grass will cut them.

They are not very bushy...mostly just leafy stalks that do bloom.

I would like to start taking better care of them and promote fuller growth.

I presume that I should prune them. IS it too late to do so...it being May 1?

Also, I think that I might like to have more. So, my idea is to save cuttings (from pruning) and to see if I can get them to root. Some reseach I have done suggests that this is possible, and that I should soak cutting overnight then plan in at least 6 inches of potting soil? Ant suggetions?

Thank you very much!

Comments (3)

• kmonceaux
    16 years ago

I have some hibiscus also and I cut them back every winter here (we don't get much of a winter) and they come back just as beautiful every spring. I have seen some homes around here just now pruning since they didn't cut back in the winter but I have never done that.

• orbitalawn
    15 years ago

I am always trimming mine except in our few cold winter day we get (usually just to make "clones")
    Yay Florida

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

They can be pruned after they stop blooming for a while to keep a better form and better blooms if for no other reason. Yes you can do cuttings from the part of the stems that more woody. No direct sunlight and rootone will help get the roots started faster. Check with your local Master Gardner in you area.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH