Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantorvillain

Seedling question

mantorvillain
17 years ago

Someone included several packets of hibiscus seed in some winter trades last year labeled white, pink, and yellow.

I ws just uppotting to 4" pots and noticed a difference in the leaves. The white & pink seedlings are smooth and single much like the leaves on my San Diego. The yellow seedlings have 'hairy' rounder leaves. Realizing seedlings seldom come true...

1. Can anyone tell me why the leaf difference?...ie. different strain?

2. Any chance of getting bloom this summer from any of these? They're currenty about 5-6" and I was going to take them to a swap but won't if there's not chance of bloom.

Thanks for any wisdom you may share.

Comments (2)

• plantsofheaven
    17 years ago

The hairy one may be actually okra which is part of the hibiscus family. Although, some hibiscus plants vary some may have a reddish foliage, some may have maple looking leaves and etc. If it is 5-6 inches it will not bloom because they do not usually bloom the first year.(May vary it is just how mine bloom). Okra is an annual. When you get a bloom let us see it and then I can tell whether for sure it is okra. Okra will bloom in a couple months after planting because it is an annual.
    Heres a link to the bloom of okra. Let me know if it works
    Let me know if you need more advice then what I just gave you.
    Thanks
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Okra

• gardeniarose
    17 years ago

I have often wondered how it works when one plants hibiscus seed if it is not the "wild" type hibiscus. Are these H. rosa-sinensis seeds in question? They are so genetically diverse so I would think each seed would give a different plant, with different leaves and different flowers. Now, as for the okra. Just yesterday I learned that it is related to hibiscus. My husband was cooking okra and gave me a pod (green) so I could plant the seeds. The okra flower in the picture is gorgeous! I'd never seen one. Will okra cross breed with hibiscus? Also, are the seeds inside store-bought okra pods mature. I suspect not. Sorry for the rambly question-filled post.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting