Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmb7275

Repotting Tropical Hibiscus

cmb7275
18 years ago

Last year I bought several braided tree-form Tropical Hibiscus at a sale. I was able to over-winter them in the house. I have grown to love them so much that at this years sale I bought several smaller plants. I have read that they like to be root-bound, but several of these plants are extremely root-bound. What is the best type of medium to grow them in when I repot them? Any other tips about caring for these little beauties would also be appreciated. Thanks

Claire

Comments (2)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I have repotted my tropical hibs in regular soiless container mix. Not much else to say about care other than being aware that any sudden change in their environment (including repotting as well as amount of light, water, temperature), is sure to cause them to yellow their leaves and drop them. But do not dispair, they will inevitably grow new leaves that will sprout along the bare stems and that are more adaptable to those changed conditions. I fertilize mine with whatever I have around, although I will try to do an Ironite (or equivalent) addition in there during the growing season.

They can grow in full sun (but would need more water) or part sun and still bloom pretty well. They bloom on new growth, which has to mature for flowering to take place. They can also be pruned to shape.

Indoors, just watch for spider mites and make sure they get enough air flow and some humidity around them.

• paddykevin
    16 years ago

I bought a number of these and have them in a small stream that connects two ponds that I put in. They are root bound. SHould I leave them be when I bring them in for the winter or repot them at that time?

Can I take cuttings now?

Sponsored