Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

burtoniae vs DS-70

quinnfyre
13 years ago

Is burtoniae and DS-70 the same thing? Or close enough that they might as well be? I already have DS-70 and don't have room for duplicates. But burtoniae is intriguing me right now. Calycina is delightfully fuzzy and is making me consider adding more fuzzy leaved hoyas to my collection.

Of course this could all just be wishful thinking on my part, that I could manage to add anything at all right now ;)

Comments (9)

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Quinn... don't know anything about burtoniae...but I doubt that they're the same plant....though the blooms remind me of each other. I have H. calycina...a great plant and good grower...I'm very fond of it. I got both of mine from Fatplant...and they are very large and very dense....starting lots of new growth....I think you'd be very pleased with it. Fondly, Patrick

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I think that Hoya burtoniae has slightly larger flowers than DS-70 and burtoniae's leaves do not have visible veins where as Hoya DS-70 has a visible midrib, I am not 100% on that though. I recently got Hoya burtoniae but it has not flowered yet and the leaves are still a little dehydrated so the midrib is visible, might have just another DS-70 afterall.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I guess I'll see for myself! I ordered burtoniae from Gardino's. I may be wrong, and I need daylight to see clearly, but I think my DS-70 is a flat fuzzy leaf with no visible veins. And in the pics I am seeing of burtoniae, it seems to have a slight dip where the midrib is. It seems to be greener too, though that could just be its growing conditions. Based on that, I'm inclined to think you do have burtoniae, Mike. Though it's hard to tell from pics.

I also ordered mindorensis. I've been eyeing that one all summer, and frankly, burtoniae was just an excuse to finally place the order ; )

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Some forms of Hoya burtoniae have very purple leaves (maybe sun?) but the one I got was listed as the green form. The photos on the Gardino's site certainly show a species other than DS-70 although I am sure these two species are often confused elsewhere.

Congrats on the new plants.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I got a cutting of burtoniae from TG this summer, which just died on me unfortunately. I'm not even going to get into whether it was or wasn't the real thing, b/c I'm no expert, but I do know there was no chance I would have mixed it up with my DS-70.

It was way cuter, with smaller, narrower, fuzzier leaves. They were mossy with some bronze color and did have a slightly visible midrib, perhaps, as in Mike's assessment, because it was dehydrated. (Although TG's photo has a midrib also) I miss it!

Good luck with yours, because personally, I found the plant I had preferable to DS-70 and will try for it again myself.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, so it arrived! It is terribly cute. And it has similarities to DS-70, but they are definitely not the same. It does have a visible midrib, and this guy is not dehydrated at all. It is nice and fuzzy, green, with the young leaves being bronze-y colored, and the teeny baby leaves silvery white. The leaves are smaller than DS-70, and DS-70 is more of a purple/wine color, rather than bronze. And DS-70 seems to have more of a rounder oval shape to the leaves.

I'll be repotting, due to transit-related mess, and also because for some reason, Gardino's sent me one 4 in pot of burtoniae, and a second 2 in pot as well. They'll be going into the same pot. Hopefully, that's enough plant for my hanging pot, but if not, that's ok too : )

I also got mindorensis, and I can definitely see the similarities to erythrostemma.

Pics to come, after I've repotted!

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alright, here are the pics I promised. Please excuse my messy floor : )

Hoya burtoniae. I hope you can see the midrib, it is more of a subtle thing, and doesn't immediately jump out at you; it is more of a 'dip':

Here is a pic of one of the bronze-y leaves:

A leaf from DS-70. I swear I thought it had more purple-y leaves before, but I haven't been growing it in bright light, so maybe it went away? Notice how it appears much flatter on the surface:

Here are the two side by side:

And mindorensis, for the heck of it:

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Nice cuttings Quinn, I love the burtoniae! Now I feel more than ever that my cutting is not Hoya burtoniae. I will take some photos for comparison.

Mike

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Well no need for photos because the two plants are exactly the same, no Hoya burtoniae here.

Mike

Sponsored