Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summer_fashion

Has anyone ordered from Ted Green in Hawaii?

summer_fashion
13 years ago

Hello:

I'm new at growing Hoyas, just got my first one a week ago. Has anyone ordered Hoyas from Ted Green in Hawaii? What is your experience with this Hoya seller? Has anyone ordered from the Cowboyflowerman on ebay? Are there other good (honest) Hoya sellers on ebay besides this cowboyflowerman?

Comments (11)

• gennykins
    13 years ago

I ordered a rigida and a variegated acuta earlier this summer from CBFM and have been very pleased. I also ordered three cuttings from TG earlier this summer and the Kaimuku and montana were beautiful and rooted quickly. The third however, was a calycina and it arrived yellowed with red scorch spots. It failed to root. I probably will not order from him again.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

I ordered 6 plants from Ted Green, earlier this summer . . . they all rooted beautifully and a couple even bloomed. :) I'll order again, next spring. Very nice man.

Carolyn

• Denise
    13 years ago

Ted is quite a character and has a good selection. When ordering cuttings, you have to do some research to make sure you aren't ordering any "thin-leaved" species. I find no matter where they come from, they're a challenge to root once they've been in the mail. I got about half a dozen cuttings from Ted last year and was very happy with size and price. They're all doing well this year.

CBFM is a good source, too. I didn't order from him this year, mostly because he doesn't offer much I don't already have, but I built up some of the components of the more common Hoyas in my collection from him. Although he advertises them as if they are established plants, I would call many of them "rooting cuttings." In other words, they have a root system that is still pretty fragile because it's relatively new, so you just have to be very gentle with them. I typically found that his plants wouldn't grow much for me for the first year. I think this is due to the fact that they're mostly plants with fragile root systems that have the added stress of being mailed. But all in all, they are well worth the dough.

HTH... Denise in Omaha

• theplanthoarder
    13 years ago

I have ordered from Ted Green twice and he is very nice. All of the cuttings rooted except the lambii and that was probably my fault because I kept checking it. I have also ordered multiple times from cowboyflowerman and he has nice plants too. There are also quite a few good vendors on ebay. I have even ordered a sigillatis from greenthumb3000 on ebay from Thailand. He sent me a big, healthy plant in 6 days.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Oh, other places to order from:

SRQ Hoyas in FL www.srqhoyas.com

and on ebay: dmichael619 fatplant2020 thehoyan as well as CBFM

Carolyn

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Summer,

Welcome aboard! Another good place to buy hoyas from is Gardino Nursery. I don't know if they sell on Ebay but everyone is always satisfied with their service. I ordered a plant (shepherdii) from them in the dead of winter and it came all nice and green (it had a heat pack with it).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• rennfl
    13 years ago

His website is what introduced me to Hoyas. I ordered about 20 cuttings from him, and I think 18 of them rooted. I will order from him again.

• crazyhoyalady
    13 years ago

Hi! I've ordered from TG in the past with negative results. Nothing rooted and I took a hit $$$ wise--....Most people I've talked with have had mixed reviews...but the consensus seems to be that you are taking a chance and you might be lucky!

• lesliercowger
    13 years ago

I have ordered from Cowboy, Ted, Joni and Gardino's and have had good experiences. I have ordered from Ted for years. Ted has an odd sense of humour but is really nice. Since I live in Oklahoma and we have a lot of oil here he kids me about pumping another barrel and buy more cuttings. I enjoy that. I have also gotten emaculate plants and cuttings from dMichael. I just haven't got up courage enough to order from Thailand yet. HTH.

(Mr.) Leslie R. Cowger

• User
    13 years ago

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for your interesting & comprehensive review. I very rarely buy online; it's been somewhat for financial reasons. But also Ive had the good fortune of swaps on here & some generous gifters over the years. Have also had my local plant society (but ID's are fuzzy, for instance somethiogn labeled H. purpura fusca, which I think is just another Pubicalyx, but I digress).

I've always meant to order from the Cowboy, but w/ one thing & another. I think last year I ordered from Accents for the Home (not great results, I've got 2 of 5 plants left, tho' MAY have been my care).

I've reined in my Hoya lust for the last several yrs. (was unemployed), but the one I still burn for is Macrophylla, esp. the variegate (I pretty much swooned when Denise first posted its pix). One of these days, I'll order from wherever I can find that one.

Sponsored