Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

So, what's working, and what isn't?

kristin_williams
17 years ago

This spring, I expanded my garden, and planted a lot of new flowers in the hopes of attracting more hummingbirds. It's working, somewhat, but they still are addicted to the feeders. I'm starting to see what I think are young birds, and they are fun to watch as they explore everything. They seem more inclined to use natural flowers than the adults, who seem to fall into behavioral patterns of hitting a particular feeder, ignoring the flowers, then zipping off to parts unknown. Certain adults often seem to follow the same flight paths.

Anyway, I thought I'd list the flowers that have definitely been visited, and also list the ones that I thought would work, but don't seem to be getting any action. I have other flowers that I won't mention, because I don't think they are known to be attractive to hummingbirds.

THESE ARE GETTING(OR GOT)VISITED:

Bleeding Hearts--Not sure of genus and species, probably just the common one.

Native columbine--Aquilegia canadensis

Scarlet Sage--Salvia coccinea

Bee Balm--Monarda didyma "Gardenview Scarlet" with bad case of mildew

Fuchsia "Billy Green" I'm not sure if they're exploring or actually feeding

Trumpet Vine--Campsis radicans var. "flava"

I must say, the Bee Balm is probably their favorite, with trumpet vine second. I haven't gotten a clear look at the Fuchsia, but I'm pretty sure they're using it. These three flowers are getting visited, even when the feeders are up. As far as I know, the others were visited only when the feeders were inside for cleaning. Of course, I can't be sure I'm not missing visits, but I'm a pretty patient observer, and this is what I've observed.

THESE DO NOT SEEM TO BE GETTING VISITED:

Petunias--bright red ones

Verbenas--annual ones, red with white centers

Verbenas--perennial ones "Homestead Purple"

Lobelia speciosa "Fan blue"

Zinnias--Pom pom ones and cactus-flowered ones

Snapdragons--Mixed colors in planters, traditional shaped blooms

Impatiens--shades of red, magenta, and pink. Don't know species, but they're the regular annuals you see everywhere, not the New Guinea ones

Oriental Lilies--Lilium

Daylilies--Hemerocallis--Orange wild-looking ones

Agastache "Pink Panther," and "Big Bazooka"

Cypress Vine--Ipomoea (?)

I must say, I really thought I'd see them at the Impatiens and also the Agastache, but if they're visiting, I've been missing it. The Cypress Vine so far has had only a few blooms at a time, so maybe it's just not a sufficient draw. In the past, I saw hummingbirds exploring my "Casa Blanca" lilies, but so far haven't seen any action at my pale yellow ones.

TOO SOON TO SAY, HAVEN'T BLOOMED YET:

Hardy Hibiscus "Fireball"

Cardinal Flower-Lobelia cardinalis

Cardinal Climber--Ipomoea x multifida

I have high hopes for these, but will just have to wait and see. All are showing signs that they will soon be blooming.

Can anyone else share their experiences?

Comments (17)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

I have alot of new things this year and some old things were actually used for the first time. Since one of my juvie males from last year returned (as an adult), and did so early this year, he got to see and try some of the spring blooming plants that were still in bloom.

OBSERVED USED
    Lilacs (both 'James McFarlane' & 'Miss Kim')
    Weigela (both 'Red Prince' & 'Wine and Roses')
    Heuchera 'Firefly'
    Annual Dianthus (dark pink/white center)
    Salvia coccinea ('Lady in Red' & 'Hummingbird Red')
    Salvia nemorosa 'May Night' (believe it or not...lol)
    Salvia guaraniticia 'Black and Blue'
    Salvia elegans ('Golden Delicious' and species - when they had a couple blooms)
    Monarda didyma 'Jacob Cline'
    Morning glories (seedling volunteers from 'Grandpa Ott')
    'Snow White' cherry tomatoes (tomato blooms nectared from!)
    Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Edward LaPlante'
    Agastache rupestris
    Coral honeysuckle
    Mandarin honeysuckle
    Scarlet runner beans
    Cypress vine (lost behind B&B but used)

NOT USED (at least yet)
    Red verbena
    Red Petunias
    Salvia 'Purple Majesty' (only had a couple blooms so far)
    Hosta albomarginata (now finished blooming)
    Sweet peas (they may have but hard to see it)
    Red Pentas
    Dicentra (may have been used but didn't observe it)
    Methley Plum (bloomed before first hummer arrived)
    Gloriosa lily (red-flowering - was looked at though!)
    Blueberries (Patio, Elliott, Nelson, Bluecrop - may have used though but not observed directly - one perches there)
    Annual snapdragons (magenta)
    asiatic lilies (assorted)
    yellow orientpet lilies (unknown)
    Calla lilies 'Majestic Red'
    Siberian columbine
    Dianthus 'Cheddar Pinks'
    Penstemon 'Sunburst Ruby' (only a couple blooms so far)

NOT YET BLOOMING
    Salvia 'Red Velvet'
    Crocosmia (may not bloom this year)
    Daylily 'Pardon Me' (won't be blooming this year)
    Canna 'The President' & 'Red King Humbert'
    Phlox paniculata 'Starfire' (won't bloom this year)
    Hyacinth bean Vine
    Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella' (seedling from last year)

What is interesting about the tomatoes is that I had recently read a post from someone who said they had seen hummers nectaring from tomato flowers and I was happy to see my little fellow doing the same on mine this year. He didn't just try one for the heck of it and go to something else. He actually went to a couple of the blossoms! He's more than welcome as that's more tomatoes for me. LOL

• birding_nut
    17 years ago

Saw Visited by one Male and one juvenile Rufous Hummingbird:

Penstemon barbatus
    Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
    Red-hot Poker (tritoma)

In bloom but never seen visited:

Penstemon pinifolius (mostly done blooming when hummers arrived)
    Penstemon psuedospectabilis (only a few flowers this year and short since it was just planted this spring so may not be easily accessible)
    Agastache cana
    Agastache 'Desert Sunrise' (both Agastache have just started blooming so hopefully the hummers will visit)
    Salvia penstemonoides
    Mondarda (rich purple colored variety, don't know cultivar name)
    Perennial Gladiolus
    Nicotiana (Flowering Tobacco, annual)
    Zinnia (single flowered variety)

I primarily only get hummers on the return migration south. I had my first juvenile Rufous show up a few weeks ago and a male Rufous show up last weekend. They were a few weeks later this year than the last couple years, probably because of our wet spring in the mountains where they breed resulting in an abundance of wildlflowers, many of which are still in bloom. Thus, they have been delayed entering the valley where I live. They usually hang out here until August and then continue heading south. The Crocosmia seems to be the big hit this year since that is usually where I see the hummers when in the garden.

BN

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention that I also have Four o'clocks. The plants were planted from seed pretty late, and they're maybe a foot tall, but haven't yet bloomed. It's kind of fun to think that when the Cypress vine flowers wither by mid day, the four o'clocks will step in. I guess the same might be true for the Nicotiana that BN mentioned. I know that in the past when I've grown Nicotiana, they've been heavily visited by hummingbird moths--sort of the hummingbird night shift, although I've seen them out during the day, too. I think I may have also seen hummingbirds visiting Nicotiana, but that was years ago, and I wasn't paying close attention. I think Nicotiana has one of the most wonderful fragrances of any flower that I know. Heavenly sweet spiciness, like cloves, cinnamon, and I'm not sure what else. They're worth growing just for that. I do think hummingbirds like them.

Interesting, too, BN, that you're not seeing them at your Agastache. Neither am I. I thought they were supposed to be hummer magnets. It's also interesting to read that your purple Monarda isn't getting any action. I wonder if it's the color, or if that particular variety just doesn't have much nectar. They're just nuts for my Gardenview scarlets, but the mildew is destroying them.

Jenny, you've reminded me that I should get some Weigela, and maybe honeysuckle, too, if I can find a place for it. My trellis has a hardy Passionflower on it, so I'd have to figure something out. I was surprised to read about them visiting your tomato flowers. I actually have a volunteer tomato growing in and among my Lobelia. I keep saying I should pull it, but it's developing some nice looking tomatoes and I've been reluctant. Maybe I'll leave them in, but I'm afraid they'll crowd out my Lobelia cardinalis. Hmmm.

• nuthatch_mo
    17 years ago

Visit everyday, Fire Bush(Hamelia patens), Salvia Coral Nymph, Salvia Lady in Red, Salvia St. Johns Fire, Salvia Black & Blue, Agastache Tutti Fruiti, Agastache Firebird, Cuphea Batface, Cuphea Firecracker, Cuphea Twinkle Pink, Cuphea Ignea, Cuphea Flamenco Rumba, Salvia Greggii Furmans Red, Rose of Sharon. Visited when blooming, Coral Bells, Orange Ditch Daylily, Penstemon Beardtounge, Bee Balm. Not visiting, Shrimp Plant,Gartenmeister Fuchsia, Candy Corn Vine, Stachys Coccinea Chinook, Butterfly Bush. Not blooming yet, Pineapple Sage, Cypress Vine.

• birding_nut
    17 years ago

Kristin, I used to have the Jacob's Cline monarda (red) and the hummers never visited that either. I tore it out to make room for my Penstemon psuedospectabilis and left the purple monarda. I know it has nectar cause the bumblebees just love it! LOL. I think hummers here out west aren't as familiar with it as the Ruby-throats back east since it is a much more common wildflower there. Also, since Monarda requires lots of organic matter and frequent watering, it just doesn't grow as well here. So, I tore out the red for more native drought tolerant species.

Nicotiana was visited by Ruby-throats when I lived in NY. I have seen Sphinx moths visit it here. My Agastache has just started blooming, so hopefully the Rufous hummers will start visiting it. I have had Calliope and Rufous actively visit Agastache cana when it was in bloom a few years ago, so I know it is attractive, just not yet this year! Crazy birds.

BN

• trey77
    17 years ago

I have been seeing alot of activity in the garden, now that the young are about. Lobelia cardinalis is by far and away the most popular followed by salvia splendens and salvia black and blue. I have also seen them use red petunias, hostas, honeysuckle, and a red daylilly. I think they are using the bee balm, though I have not seen it, I have seen it investigete but not eat because it is always loaded with bees and/or butterflies.

So far I have not seen them at lobelia fan scarlet, nicotiana, cuphea, or impatients. I have not seen them on my salvia greggii but I have seem them at the neighbor's, so go figure. Its too early to tell on texas firecracker and a few others.

The feeder is more popular with the adults who seem to ignore my flowers. The youngsters seem to prefer the flowers but will stop at the feeder briefly.

• gw:deb_h_3-day
    17 years ago

I've had very few visitors. The earlier visitor went for red Million Bells. The next one seen visited pink petunias in a hanging basket. These are the only two flowers I've seen any hummers at. I now have hosta in full bloom, which usually attracts some visits, but I've seen none.

Deb in PA

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

UPDATE!!!!!

I just saw some action at all three of my Agastache plants. The single "Pink Panther" plant is smaller in stature, maybe a couple feet tall, and its flowers are pink with a slight purplish tinge. It's been blooming for a few weeks now, but until today I hadn't seen any action. The 2 "Big Bazooka" plants also have pink flowers, but with a hint of pale orange. At 3 1/2 feet, they're much taller than the "Pink Panther." They only just started blooming this week. Another difference between the two is that the flowers are more widely spaced on the "Big Bazookas" compared with the more densely packed flowers on the "Pink Panther."

Anyway, while I was out watering the zinnias and Agastache, a hummer came out of nowhere, hovered about 4 feet away from me, and I imagine was trying to decide if I were dangerous. I stood motionless, barely daring to blink, and held my breath as the bird moved in to take a sip from the "Big Bazooka." I went inside to get my camera, and when I came out, the bird had returned and was feeding from the much shorter "Pink Panther." I snapped a few pictures, but with no telephoto, the bird is going to be tiny.

I think it might have been a juvenile, but it could have been an adult female. It's hard to tell.

Anyway, you can move Agastache to the "getting visited" list.

• flutterbug
    17 years ago

This is my first year in my new house. I tried to get as much planted as possible this spring. I think a lot of things need some time getting established before they'll get any attention. I have to say, I'm glad I planted all that monarda didyma 'jacob cline' because that's the only flower I witnessed my buddy at. I also got the pleasure of seeing my first, clearwing hummingbird moth at it! I did plant 6 of them and 2 of the species (oswega tea), which aren't as impressive!

• trey77
    17 years ago

Here's my update. My neighbor gave me a salvia coccinea "Lady in Red" yesterday and the hummers have been all over it, even the adults. Today I bought a trumpet vine, campsis tagliabuana "Madame Galen" from Lowe's. I put it on my back deck and within minutes a young male was eating from it. I don't know where I am going to put it, it would grow great on the fence, but hard to see from the deck. Maybe I will just shape it to keep a tree like form and keep it on the porch. Also they are visiting the lobelia 'fan scarlet'.

• birding_nut
    17 years ago

I had a female Black-chinned Hummingbird show up this weekend and she visited the Butterfly Bush ('Black Knight') quite a few times and then I saw her yesterday morning in my Agastache 'Desert Sunrise'.

I remember the Black-chinned Hummers visiting the butterfly bush last year too, more so than the Rufous Hummingbirds which seem to pretty much ignore it. While watching the hummers, I also saw a new buttefly in my yard, a Becker's White (see link below) on the butterfly bush (how appropriate) and on my Salvia 'Blue Hill', which also attracts the more common Cabbage White.

BN

Here is a link that might be useful: Becker's White Butterfly

• birding_nut
    17 years ago

Another quick update. I was home with my sick son on Monday and we were both able to watch a female Calliope Hummingbird visit the Penstemon barbatus (on a flush or reblooming) and a new plant visit for me, Agastache neomexicana. I thought for sure those blooms of the A. neomexicana would be too small for the hummers, but I guess the Calliope has the smallest beak and was able to utilize them! She didn't visit the Agastache 'Desert Sunrise' which has larger blooms and is right behind the Penstemone. Go figure.

The cool thing is that I have had a male and juvenile Rufous, a female Black-chinned and a female Calliope all visit this year.

BN

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's my update from the not used and not yet blooming lists.

Four o'Clocks--Are blooming nicely now, but whenever I look inside, there's no nectar. None at all! I haven't seen the hummers at them, and this is probably why. They look great, but how disappointing!

Blue Lobelias (Lobelia "Fan Blue")--I just saw a bird visit these this afternoon. I'm not sure if she got anything, but she dipped into a couple flowers before zipping over to the feeder. Interestingly, this summer I've been experimenting with making feeders out of Sculpey clay which closely imitate the hummingbird flowers in my garden. I made a blue Lobelia last week that is very realistic looking. I'm hoping that my feeders are habituating them to new colors and forms. It's hard to say because I'm not doing a round the clock study, but it seems like they didn't touch the lobelias until I put that feeder up. I put the feeder up a few nights ago, and when I got up the next day they were already using it without hesitation. I wonder what their reaction was when they first arrived in the early morning and saw a purple flower, instead of the usual red ones I've been making! I'm sorry to say I wasn't up early enough to see their astonishment.

All of this probably deserves its own separate post, because it's pretty neat trying out all these different shapes and colors of flowers. I'm going to try making a nasturtium next.

Cardinal Climber and Cypress vine--They're blooming sparsely on bushy, 20 foot vines. I just started fertilizing them with some "Bloom Booster," but they still aren't getting as many flowers as I would like. Maybe they don't like this ridiculous heat wave. Thank God it's finally cooling off. This afternoon, a hummer flew very near the vines, which made me think they might be getting used early in the morning. It seems I'm never up early enough to witness this, and then the blooms are kaput by the afternoon.

I've still seen no action at my annual verbenas, my red petunias, mixed color snapdragons, Pelargonium geranium, Dianthus chinensis (although they might be sneaking into these), Impatiens, pompom or cactus zinnias, or my Oriental lilies. Bummer!

I'm still waiting on the hardy Hibiscus (bunches of buds), and the Lobelia cardinalis is just beginning to bloom. They will be my last new flowers of the season. I'll let you know!

• pinwheel
    17 years ago

what's been visted:
    bee balm - don't know the name of it, but it's slightly purple
    gladiola 'atom'

what hasn't been visited, that I can tell:
    red impatiens
    salvia
    zinnias
    lilies

There are plenty of cats in the neighborhood, so my theory is that they are just avoiding the lower-growing plants.

• kelp
    17 years ago

In order of preference:
    Bee balm ('Jacob Cline')
    Columbine--They loved the 'Songbird Cardinal', and ignored the 'Winky series' (Rose). The 'Ruby Port' was planted too late to bloom, so I don't know about them.
    Asiatic Lily ('Monte Negro')
    All my hosta blooms.
    Ajuga! (Teeny purple blossoms- I can't imagine they'd even get any nectar from those, but they spend more time there than any where else. Perhaps because there's so much of it.)
    Red salvia (annual)

These weren't touched:
    Fuschia (Pink and purple,don't know the name)
    Daylily ( It's named'Autumn Red'--but it's really a deep orange.)
    Oriental lilies.
    Foxglove ('Pam's Choice')
    Honeysuckle ('Harlequin') I think it bloomed before they got here. But they check out the red berries every day--too funny.

I'm not sure about the red lupine, as it's below the window where I sit, hence, not visible from inside.

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yet another update:

ARE VISITING, OR HAVE VISITED:

Bleeding Hearts--Dicentra spectabilis
    Native Columbine--Aquilegia canadensis
    Scarlet Sage--Salvia coccinea
    Bee Balm--Monarda didyma "Gardenview Scarlet"
    Fuchsia--"Billy Green"
    Trumpet Vine--Campsis radicans var. "flava"
    Agastache "Pink Panther," and "Big Bazooka"
    Lobelia speciosa--"Fan Blue"

...and now, for the first time today, I saw one dip into my orange red Cactus-flowered Zinnias, and then whizzed straight over to my Cardinal Climber (Ipomoea x multifida). She didn't try the Cypress vine flowers that were within a few inches, but this was probably just a fluke, since the two are pretty similar, and I know they both have nectar in them. If I keep watching, I'll probably see her on the Cypress vine. So you can add to the "VISITED" list:

Zinnias--The big, cactus-flowered kind

STILL ON THE UNVISITED LIST:

Petunias--bright red ones
    Verbenas--annual ones, red with white centers
    Verbenas--perennial ones "Homestead Purple"
    Lobelia speciosa "Fan blue"
    Zinnias--The pompon double types
    Snapdragons--Mixed colors in planters, traditional shaped blooms
    Impatiens--shades of red, magenta, and pink. Don't know species, but they're the regular annuals you see everywhere, not the New Guinea ones
    Oriental Lilies--Lilium
    Daylilies--Hemerocallis--Orange wild-looking ones
    Cypress Vine--Ipomoea (?)
    Hardy Hibiscus--"Fireball"--Just started blooming today, and doesn't really seem to have much if any nectar in it. I haven't seen any of the hummers inspecting it. The blossoms are deep red, and are the size of small dinner plates.

TOO SOON TO SAY, HAVEN'T BLOOMED YET:

Cardinal Flower--Lobelia cardinalis. These are just starting to bloom, so I think it's too soon to say. I've seen them at the nearby blue Lobelias, so think they'll probably be visiting these, also.

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Kristen, I cant really say flowers are a big drawer of hummers, for the only flowers I have are hostas and portulacas and hummers have ignored them all summer untill just recently started diving down on the portulacas. And I have a lot of hummers. I have a young elm tree in my yard and they just perch in that tree and dare another hummer to go to the feeders.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions