Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breasley_gw

Green Tomato Refreigerator Pickles

breasley
16 years ago

Has anyone made Clausen type pickles with green tomatoes? I was thinking maybe Ken's method of Half Sours using Mrs Wages mix with water instead of vinegar would work with green tomatoes. What do you think?

Comments (9)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, thats the same way> it will benefit by the addition of a few chunks of garlic as well as some dill, just like it was a cucumber. Allow these to sit on the counter for at least 3 days, then add that necessary tablespoon of white vinegar, refrigerate, and you should be able to enjoy them within a week or so. Claussen make such a thing and use small green tomatoes about he size of golf balls. To assist in the curing, you can also cut away just the small area where the stem was attached. Its importnat to note that thee should not be eaten whole as you could choke like my dad did. After that, he would quarter them before eating.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

Here's my recipe for Claussen pickles. I use it for green tomatoes cut into wedges or whole small cherry toms. I also tuck one or two whole dried red peppers into each jar.
    Because of concerns that Listeria multiples at room temperature, I now put them in the refrigerator from the beginning.

Claussen Kosher Pickles

Source: www:nutzworld.com/eating/recipes
    This recipe makes 1 quart

2 fresh dill flowers (or dill seed)
    2 cloves garlic
    1 1/4 pounds pickling cucumbers (8 to l0 whole)
    6 sprigs fresh dill weed
    1 tbsp kosher salt
    1/2 cup white vinegar & equal amount of cooled boiled water (chilled distilled water may be used if your water has high mineral content)

Place dill flowers or seeds in bottom of mason jar. Add cukes, packing tightly. Put sprigs of dill in center of jar. Add salt and vinegar. Fill with cooled boiled water to within 1/8" of top. (Be sure WATER/VINEGAR RATIO IS 50/50.) Put on seal and ring. Shake to dissolve salt. (*Set upside down on counter away from direct sunlight and heat. Let sit 4 to 5 days, flipping each day. Let sit upright 2 more days, then refrigerate. Keeps chilled about 6 months.)
    NOTE: Because of NCHFP concerns regarding Listeria, follow these directions:
    *SET UPSIDE DOWN IN REFRIGERATOR. LET SIT 4 TO 5 DAYS, FLIPPING EACH DAY. LET SIT UPRIGHT 4 TO 5 MORE DAYS. KEEPS REFRIGERATED FOR 6 MONTHS.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Gee, that recipe has practically no salt.. A 1/2 cup of vinegar?? Yes, that would DEFINATELY need refrigeration! I don't 'flip' my jars, and think thats only needed if they were to form some scum or mold inside, that you didn't want to skim off.

• breasley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just filled six quarts with brine made with water and Mrs Wages Dill mix. Ken I have to ask a couple questions so I know I'm reading your directions correctly. I poured the brine into the jars at room temperature, just stir to dissolve... no heat at all right? The directions say to cover the jars. Can I just put the lids on loosely without tightening? Will there be scum in the short 2-3 days?

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, there is no cooking or heating of the brine. Be sure the brine has enough salty flavor. I made the mistake (was in a big rush) of not adding enough salt to a recent batch of store bought cukes. They softened quickly and were not very good, and all were tossed. I mix the brine in a big bowl and firmly pack the dill, cut up garlic, and cukes into each jar. I like to use half gallon canning jars as they hold about 10 or so big pickling cukes. Usually, if the brine is correct, you should not see any scum or any other odd stuff on the surface. I cap them with a canning lid, and loosly screw on a plastic cover to hold the lid in place. That was yesterday. Today, I tightened the caps, flipped the jars over and gave then a shake to mix in the brine and spices again, then turned them right side up again, and loosened the plastic cap, and heard a slight release of gasses. Tomorrow, they will be placed in the fridge, but only after they get a tablespoon of white distilled vinegar, a shake again, and then stored in the fridge with the plastic cap just slightly loose. Its enough to allow any gas buildup to escape. Usually after a week, there is usually no more gas escaping, and thats when you should know if they are good to go. You can actually taste them the day after you make them, like my grandfather did, but if you want the most flavor, give them a week or so in the fridge. When using a mix, be sure its first ingredient isn't sugar. One of my mixes has sugar as the first ingredient and its not a very tasty dill pickle if you use that mix. Sorry, I don't recall whether it was a Ball or Mrs. Wages mix. A tiny bit of sugar is OK afterwards, but not as the first ingredient. It just so happens that yesterday Alton Brown's show 'Good Eats' had that same brine pickle episode.

• breasley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My three days on the counter are up and they just went into the fridge. I sampled the pickles and the juice but neither had a pronounced dill flavor or were overly salty. I sure hope the dill flavor comes through. I even added two T of dill seeds to each jar on day one.

• breasley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ken... can I add salt to the brine after they go into the cooler if they are okay otherwise.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I think you can. If there was not a lot of salt to begin with, however, they may not properly cure now. I made a batch of half sour cukes earlier this year and was a bit skimpy on the salt in the brine and allowed it to continue for the 3 days and then into the fridge. They were tasted a week later and were very soft, watery, and rubbery, not like I expected. Tossed them all out! It was probably due to not only an insufficient salt in the brine, but also the cukes were store bought, and a bit larger than a common pickling cuke. Needless to say, to get the best crispness the cukes need to be really fresh, and picked the same day as pickled. When I make mine, I added about 10 good sized branches of fresh dill weed to each jar, as well as 4-5 cut cloves of garlic, and a single whole peppercorn. The mixes usually have sufficient dill flavor, but I like to fortify them a bit more, with fresh herbs. The mix I used also had some whole dill seeds in it too. I could tell they were fermenting as I opened the jar covers (two days later) and could see tiny streams of bubbles coming to the surface. At that time, I had to pour off about a 1/4 cup of the brine to fit the white vinegar in. They are all in the fridge now. If you like a really strong dill flavor, place some of the dill seeds in a small coffee grinder (blender type) and chop them up a bit, along with some whole ones. The brine I made from a larger packet of Mrs. Wages dill pickle mix was a bright yellow due to the tumeric they add, and was just on the edge of being too salty and salty enough to 'water your mouth' point. Ideally thats where you want to be at before teh curing starts. I did post an actual amount of salt used with a specific amount of water, and got that info from a recent Good Eats show hosted by Alton Brown. I think it was something like 5 1/2 ounces of pickling salt, or a mix (like Ball or Mrs. Wages) to to a gallon of water. I posted the info on another recent thread. The search engine here is terrible and I couldn't even find the 'Tamarind' word when I did a search after a posting about that flavor in another thread.

• James McNulty
    16 years ago

Ken,
    Please ignore question on amount of salt. Didn't see this page before asking. Sorry. Jim of So. Calif.