Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

A Prize, Or A Dud? Can You Help Me?

PoohBearLvr
10 years ago

Hi. I bought a big hoya basket at Wal-Mart months ago, it is called Hoya Brevialta. It has hundreds of thin wirey thing vines on it, and small almost round leaves...hasn't done anything, till I took a look at it just now, and it is in bloom!

No smell yet, it is still light out. But did I get a great deal on a rare hoya, or is this a common hoya,no big deal? The flower looks like a slightly bigger Launosa,white with a tiny reddish center. I have like 10 spurs all of a subbed on it, and 2 in bud, one open. First time. Can anyone tell me is this a rare variety, or common as a 'Hindu Rope'?

Any feedback would be great. It only cost me $7 for a 10in hanging basket. So I either got a great deal, on a rare find. Or an ok deal on a common hoya. which is it?

Comments (5)

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I found it online at Rareflora.com....seems I have just a nice big hoya, that is suppose to bloom in the spring. Technically it is winter, but we get 3 days of winter here each year, in January. 3 days of 40's-high 30's, if I get lucky. So it must think it is spring now. It says it has a sweetly scented flower, like caramel.....so maybe I have found a close replacement for my long gone Tsangii? Though to me, its flowers smelled like hot melted butter.
    But it was listed online and I was told it has caramel scented blooms. Well maybe tonight I will find out, if I get some scent tonight from it. I guess $7 for a 10in full grown pot of this hoya is a fair deal. Not a rare find, but a nice find.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well it might look different, but it seems I have found my long lost Tsangii. My flowers smell like hot melted butter, to me. Not like Caramel, like the description says it should smell like. It has like 5 names, I think Tsangii is one of them. But the Tsangii I have, had much thinner and more oblong shaped leaves. But for the wonderful scent, I will settle for this wirey, and full basket of hoya from Wal-Mart.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

The name is misspelled on the label. I got the same hoya, also mis-spelled. The correct name is Hoya Brevialata. Not the most common one, but not a rare one either. And $7 is an absolutely great price! I overpaid at $20 and then later saw the same baskets at a BBS for $15. Congrats on the blooms! Mine is sending out new shoots, but no peduncles/buds yet. Hoya Tsangii is AKA Hoya DS-70 AKA Hoya bilobata - also not an extremely rare one, I've seen them at BBSs and plenty of sources online if you want to grow it again. Leaves are fuzzy and flatter that H. brevialata, right?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Congrats on your new Hoya!!

The true hoya Tsangii is quite different than the one they are calling Tsangii aka DS-70...

This is the true H. tsangii...it has yellow blooms and the leaves are long, narrow and pointy...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here's DS-70 that they usually incorrectly call tsangii