Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mississippigirl1

Should I cut blooms?

mississippigirl1
9 years ago

My mother-in-law brought home an Endless Summer hydrangea for our patio. It's still in the pot. I have no plans to put it in the ground. I adore hydrangeas, and these have a beautiful bluish purple color. There are probably seven blooms right now.

So my question: should I cut some blooms to enjoy in my home? How will that affect the plant itself? Every internet search I do tells me how to treat the cut blooms, but I am interested to know how long it will take the plant to re-bloom. I don't want to miss out on cut hydrangeas in my home in case I screw up and this thing dies all together. Does it matter where on the stem I cut?

Comments (2)

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Looking at the bloom stem, keep one set of large leaves below the bloom and trim the stem below those leaves down to about 1" above the next set of leaves. As long as conditions are ideal, the plant has a shot at one rebloom this season, and would likely result in two blooms coming from a set of new stems forming from a "Y" from the two buds directly below where you stip. All H. mac buds on stems come in twos, and are located immediately above where the existing leaf meats the stem. Should look like a raised reddish brown dot.

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

So if we cut in this fashion, will that also help create a larger bush, as it is encouraging growth to the sides? I was just about to make a post on where to cut my ES, I have a ton of bright pink blooms (pretty alkaline soil here) that I'd like to put in a vase for the weekend.