Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocdgardener

Lady in Red - More like 'Lady in Dead'

ocdgardener
17 years ago

Okay ---- I live in the south where 'Lady in Red' is supposed to thrive. So far it's been a dud!!! I bought it last spring and the flowers quickly turned gray then brown then they were gone. I figured it was because it was new and sending all its energy to its roots. This year once again - lots of pretty pale lilac blooms that have now all turned brown. What gives --- From all the materials I've seen they are supposed to age to a beautiful red --- nope! Interesting too because its the only hydrangea I have that doesn't hold on to its flowers into the fall. It is in shade too btw - so it isn't because of sun burn. Anybody have the same thing to report - or have a solution? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• bamadave
    17 years ago

Check out the website below. It alludes to the possibility that flowers will become unattractive as they age and also mention that the pinkish color is preferable. To me it sounds as though the rose color would occur under alkaline conditions rather than in our acidic Southern soils.

For what it's worth, this Hydrangea seems to be promoted far more for its foliage and stems than its flowers. Those seem to be of secondary interest. I think the foliage is very attractive, but I'm not so sure this Hydrangea will be all that popular in warmer climate regions where there are a lot of options for foliage plants. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying one!

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Lady in Red' Color and Care

• ocdgardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting. I'm surpised though that the flowers fall off. They can't turn red if they aren't there! As far as it not being a good choice for the south --- It appears to have been bred in Georgia??? Still wondering what's up with it!

• baseballmomof5
    17 years ago

I have one and have it acidic soil, I too bought it for the red veined foliage.. The flowers are an extra bonus.. Right now the flowers are lavender and am waiting for it to change colors..

• outsideplaying_gw
    17 years ago

ocdgardener, I'm with you. I also planted one last year and have been disappointed this year. At least you got a few blooms! Mine came into leaf just fine, but then looked poopy during that awful heat wave we've had the past couple of weeks, despite watering.
    I've decided I'm not very good at growing hydrangeas, except for the native oak leaf variety. Besides the Lady in Red, I've had a variegated type for about 3 years (can't remember the name) that has never bloomed and hasn't grown appreciably either. My 'project' this year is to learn a little bit more about hydrangeas, where to plant, soil, etc and try to do better. I'll likely be visiting this forum a little more often.

• dirtyoldman
    17 years ago

The nursery industry tried to make 'Lady in Red' the next 'Endless Summer', but there ain't no way. Problem is, people buy macrophyllas for the flowers, not the foliage, and the blooms of 'Lady in Red' fall somewhere between mediocre and MIA. Don't believe me? Go into a nursery right now and see how it's selling. Bet you'll find 'Endless Summer' running out of the store, while 'Lady in Red' is just sitting there. To be fair, I have seen spectacular red fall color on 'Lady in Red' in Zones 6B-7A. So maybe nurseries should stock it in the fall, not the spring.

• yellowgirl
    17 years ago

Ditto dirtyoldman......yg

• bamadave
    17 years ago

Dirtyoldman - I totally agree. People buy Hydrangeas for flowers, not foliage. And I would say that's especially true in the warmer climate areas like the Southeast, where there are lots of evergreen foliage plants available. It's hard to imagine someone other than crazed plant collectors (like some or many of us??) being taken in by this plant.

Having said all of that, I did plant one this weekend (one gallon), and it has looked really nice for the past two days! LOL!!

Now on the other hand - I think the new 'Endless Summer Blushing Bride" will be a major winner. I just planted one of these as well. The foliage is very dark green, and the big white mophead flowers look great with it. I'm looking forward to seeing how they look when they blush light blue. I'm betting on this one being a big time keeper! Beautiful plant.

I also planted a couple of 'Big Daddy' Hydrangeas because I liked the dark green, large foliage and the promise of obnoxiously huge flowers reeled me in. The more shocking a plant is, the better!! LOL.

• Creech444
    17 years ago

Hmm, I guess I'm one of those people that buy Hydrangeas for the foliage and habit in the landscape (that's why I love the serratas). My LnRs done pretty well this year. I notice they tend to be fairly open leggy plants though. Even the one at the Atlanta Botanical Garden which is an older one is the same way.

• bamadave
    17 years ago

Well, I think those blue lacecap flowers against the red stems look really cool!

I like Hydrangeas for their foliage, too. I like very bold tropicalesque type plants, so the bigger and more glossy the foliage the better! :)

• outsideplaying_gw
    17 years ago

To correct a misconception about my earlier post, I did buy the 'Lady' for the foliage, not necessarily the flowers. Same with the variegated one I have. My oak leaf varities are doing great & blooming like crazy. I just have a hard time getting other hydrangeas to grow, period and don't really know why. Is it too late to add composted cow manure to see if I can get more growth this season? D.O.M., I think you're right - they should sell the Lady's in the fall.