Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Part 1: Iris and their companions - * photos galore *

gottagarden
13 years ago

I love bearded iris! They were the first plant group I ever collected. But like any diva, they really need a supporting cast in order to show to their best advantage. Over the years I have been rearranging my plants like furniture, trying to match bloom times and color coordinate. Gradually I'm getting some nice combinations that are consistent from year to year. I thought you might like to see them.

iris 'gypsy romance' with malva mauritania, lupines

From Iris 2010

companions for iris - nepeta, blue flax, spiraea 'ogon', chives, salvia, corydalis lutea

From Iris 2010

iris, nepeta walkers low and red weigela

From Iris 2010
From Iris 2010

salvia eveline, persicaria bistorta, early dwarf iris, pink forget-me-not

From Iris 2010

iris and yellow tree peony

From Iris 2010

iris Batik and salvia Caradonna

From Iris 2010

iris Afternoon Delight

From Iris 2010

pink iris and geranium pyrenaicum

From Iris 2010

Comments (39)

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

luscious!

I especially love that pink iris & "Afternoon Delight"!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Nobody does it like you, Gottagarden. Each photo is more wonderful than the last. This is how irises were meant to be used in the garden.
    Renee

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I saved this to my clippings, and sent the link to Mom. And came back for another look.
    Renee

• susie_gardener_2007
    13 years ago

Absolutely delightful pictures! I'm on dial-up, but they are worth the wait. Thank you so much for posting these!

Susie

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Brenda, can I copy these photos to the American Iris Society's Facebook page? More people should see what you do in the garden.
    Renee

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Brenda, I just realized I put you on the spot. So never mind. :)

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad you liked the photos. I love iris, and walk around with my nose in them all to sample their scent.

No, you didn't put me on the spot. I think I will post them to FB myself, just to need to find a little extra time to do it. May watermark them as well.

3 months until iris season!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Love your combos! Thank you for posting these.

• mikesc
    13 years ago

Great photos!!! Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed those!

• aggiegrad
    13 years ago

is that peonies in the background behind the afternoon delight iris? if not than what is it?

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that is peonies. Not quite open yet. Some are open that early - like Dancing Butterflies.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

Skillfully planned, grown and photographed. Absolutely beautiful!

Do you call your masterpiece a cottage garden?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

cant wait for part 2 ...

super

ken

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Well done, I wish I were so good at putting things together. Can you come here :)

• texanjana
    13 years ago

Love your combos, amazingly beautiful.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those are truly beautiful. Genius composition.
    kay

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Truly inspiring.

Stunning.

Nice combinations of textures and heights. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Tanya

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Wow!!! Some of the prettiest combos I have ever seen. Thanks for telling us what the companion plants are. I am going to try my hand at trying to color match different plants. Its always so pleasing to the eye. More please!! Judy

• vettin
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos. If you have time, could you name the iris names with the corresponding photos? Also, are you open to sharing who you buy them from?

Thank you!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I don't care how many times you look at these pictures. They are so lovely they just lift your spirits.
    kay

• madeyna
    12 years ago

All of those combos are simply stunning, thankyou for posting them for all of us to enjoy.

• joannpalmyra
    12 years ago

Oh my word. I'm actually salivating over those pictures!
    I came home to find a bag of iris 'zomes on my porch - no idea who left them. Now to find a place for them...

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

i love the color combination's you have and the plantings of peonies and iris they work well together. what variety of peonies are with those irises?

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't see any peonies in this set of photos,but here's one that has peony Dancing Butterflies, an early blooming peony.

From Iris 2010

• joannpalmyra
    12 years ago

I see just-about-to-bloom peonies in the second to last photo.
    The groupings in those photos are astounding. Must have taken years of planning and work.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Those peony flowers are HUGE.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Moving this one up again for everyone's pleasure. WARNING: Do NOT, under any circumstances, compare your garden to these photographs.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

smile :-) they are just starting to bloom again, I need to take more photos.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

GG, these are really nice. You are quite the artist. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for giving these the bump, Renee.

• User
    8 years ago

bumping again

• bella rosa
    8 years ago

Wow! Beautiful photos. You're a true garden artist - just like Monet! It's a cold and overcast day over here and your beautiful garden pictures have really helped to brightened my day.

• posierosie_zone7a
    5 years ago

Bumping! Enjoy...

• dbarron
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Iris are indeed spectacularly showy, I just wish there was a perpetually reblooming strain :)

But their cycle of growth (produce fan, mature fan, produce terminal inflorescence) pretty much prohibits that idea.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    5 years ago

Thanks for bringing this back around, posierosie! I remember still being a lurker when I was so inspired by her beautiful gardens. gottagarden had a knack for plant placement, that's for sure.

It's good seeing Iris interspersed throughout the garden like this. I planted 'Batik' last year and will be so happy if it looks like the ones pictured here.

• posierosie_zone7a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We have some amazing historical threads here. This one is so inspiring.

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

I miss gotta garden. Her pictures were always so beautiful and inspiring. I don't think she posts here any more. Now, I could be wrong.

• posierosie_zone7a
    5 years ago

I'm not sure as I am not a regular on this forum, but people come in and out. Talking about lovely pictures, will we be seeing some poppies from you again BellaRosa? I tried last year and the potting soil I used for annual types was too wet. :(. I'm trying again, though! I loved seeing your pictures.

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

Awh, thanks, posierosie! The answer is yes. Try the winter sowing method for growing poppies. there's a great forum on facebook and here. i was able to grow poppies with no problem using that method. good luck and don't forget to post your pics.

Sponsored