Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

May I gush a bit please!!!

ditas
14 years ago

Hi Paniculata lovers - I acquired 2 new (2+gal) ones - Unique & Lime Light. presently the only 2, not towering over me (2.5' & 3') & should be allowed to drool, a bit, over them before they become giants. 'Am certainly aware, that these nursery/hormone-boosted, petite, blooms won't last ... by 2nd season, they'll show their true personalities ... will have to describe their blooms as 'elegant' then, instead of 'adorably cute'!!! Unique's petite panicles, do bear, slightly larger sepals, for her size & some w/ 5 petals!!! Â;)

Last year I thrilled over, Snow Queen, Pee Wee (both Hq) & Angel's Blush (Hp), mere, 1gal pot-babies. Sadly, grown but no news from any of the Hqs, even older Alice (can I still hope?) in f/s AB's clusters opened, a few days later than all other paniculatas I have, all in f/s ... may still qualify as 'adorably cute' tho quite taller now at 4' & spread out w/ smaller panicles still, we'll see as she fully flash 'n blush (silvergold claims AB her fav)!

QF a yr younger than L'il L (side by side) has caught up in hgt & spread. L'il L's lower limbs are encaged altho a few limbs sneaked out ... still OK ... I'm just hoping that those panicles won't be like old rams instead of lambs!!! LOL

My 2 Tardivas - what can I say ... I can perhaps hide under & no one'll find me - are now exploding!!! Â;)

Thank you for listening to me gush w/ delight ... would love to hear of yours!!! Â;)

D

Comments (7)

• ostrich
    14 years ago

Ditas, thank you so much for sharing! I would love to see some photos of your lovelies!!! It is so very exciting to hear about your journey with the paniculatas. Please post some pics for us! :-)

Here's my Quick Fire today... isn't this why we love her so much?

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning, Ostrich!!! Â;) My QF is fast turning pink now!

I need to photograph & organize an album, of just the H paniculata blossoms '09. I'll have to wait a while, as all, except for QF & the 2 new ones, are just now starting their show. The Paniculata album I have, are all of '08 & include the plants, intended only for my pictorial journal. I promise to share the '09 album as soon as ready, OK?

Thank you so much for understanding why ..... !!! Â;)

• momplus1
    14 years ago

Ditas, wow you do have a lot of paniculatas. Can't wait to see your album!!

• organicnjgardengirl
    14 years ago

Gush away!!!

I have fallen head-over-heels for paniculatas. I have a standard with no name (I know it's NOT Limelight or Tardiva!) two Limelights, a White Swan (that was being thrown away at the garden center I work at and has recovered from it's abuse very nicely) I bought another Limelight today!!!! I have two Quick Fires that I abused this winter and never planted until this spring and they are COVERED COVERED COVERED in blooms!! Can't wait until next year when my babies will begin to leap.

To me, they are the queens of the garden.

I have 8 macrophyllas - three Endless Summers, two Glowing Embers (THAT ARE PURPLE - LUCKY ME!!!)and two very unique lacecaps that I can't remember the name of at the moment. They were twigs last year when I bought them at Fordhook - doing super! Oh, and the mack daddy Lady in Red (although she's blue this year) big and BEAUTIOUS - she's already like a hemisphere!!

I think I'm going to get three Fuji Waterfalls - have you ever seen them - oh, MAMA!!!...although running out of nice morning sun...hmmm....maybe I'll sacrifice some Hostas...wish I could find a Lemon Daddy...can never find Annabelles around here either!!!

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I love your Guick Fire and don,t have a white so I think I,ll keep on the look out for that one, its stunning.

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you O..g..g.. for gushing along with me ... willing to bet there are tons of us ... our cups just runneth over w/ the tiniest of extra drip!!! LOL

You must tell me about this "oh, MAMA!!!" - Fugi Waterfalls ... very often, I fall over a name & since I love those waterfalls in the NC country ... Fugi country sounds quite exotic ... does she wear as lovely an 'obi' as Mariko (Shogan)?!!! I hope she is not a mophead ... adore lacecaps & lacey panicles! My Annabelle overwhelms me, both in hgt & size of her white balls!

I have been digging up Hostas as well as Stella d'Os, for the sampler AM & f/s beauties that you claim are "the queens of the garden"... duchesses & princesses as well!!!

TIA for info on FW! Â;)

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I googled & founf 0..g..g..'s - Fugi Waterfalls ... she's right in her "oh, MAMA" superlative! ... however not for my zone. Â:(

I own a very similar one, MyM ... perhaps, a little less infertile, double florets & color is coral-pink to purple-pink. I have succeeded so far, with good overwintering efforts ... got 30 blossoms this season, however, quite short lived compared to my other H.serratas. The plant zooms as soon as the infertile florets change color & turn over ... signaling her maturity in her demure, greenish-mauvish under colour ... she is not imposing & showy ... just simply lovely ... & some stay around 'til late Aug/Sept !!!

BTW - For my growing Hs, we just dug up 4 huge Hostas & 4 huge clumps of Stellas ... I hope I have not offended my Hosta & S d'Oro compatriots - I love them & have, what I fondly call 'my Hosta plantation' - people come to dig up, to their hearts content ... I just gave a garden pal, huge clumps ... others will go to new patch of a good home! Â;)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH