Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
discobunny_gw

casbanan (Sicana Odorifera)

discobunny
20 years ago

I've been buying casbanan (Sicana Odorifera) for about 25 years, and finally planted some this past year, with good results. Have heard and read that the old Cajuns along the Bayou Lafourche used them to make preserves and wonder if anyone out there has a recipe for that? I imagine something like a chunky butter (apple or peach butter). Also have read that they are used in salads in Central America. I use them to make a chiffon pie which is always appreciated, but that is my own recipe. Anyone wanting my recipe can email me, and I will forward it, especially if you have one to exchange for it.

Comments (10)

• Papa_LA
    20 years ago

Hi, discobunny. Try writing to Chef John Folse at folse@jfolse.com If he does not have the recipe he will visit with the old folks along the river and perhaps Bayou Lafourche (only a short distance) as well. Let us know what he says.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Some one just sent me a packet of the seeds. I live on the Great River Road in St. Charles Parish. Is it time to plant these seeds or wait til next year.
    Do you think that is where the expression "Banan pour toi" comes from? (Banan for you)

• cajun_cat
    19 years ago

What is a casbanan and where do I get this?
    I have a friend that is waiting to hear from me.
    Is there anyone out there that can help me.

cajun cat

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

If you type the word "casbanan" into a search engine you will find everything you ever wanted to know, including photos.

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

This is one (of many!) I hadn't heard of, so I tried googling it. The references to 'casbanan' all sent me back here. So I tried Sicana odorifera and came up with lots of sites. The common name usually used in those is 'cassabanana', and I'm very interested. Looks like there are some recipes on some of those sites if I'd kept looking long enough, but I kinda ran out of time. Supposed to be tasty and 'refreshing' (something we can sure use in July and August--or the last couple weeks!) when sliced thinly and eaten raw. The dried fruits can be placed among your linens for their fragrance that's what 'oderifera means, tho' not alway a pleasant fragrance!) and some folks think they repel moths. And they make very attractive vines. May have to try that!

• cajun_cat
    19 years ago

Where can I get this casbanan (sicana Odorifera) in Louisiana?

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

I don't know. Someone sent me some seeds and told me they were hard to come by.

• nufarul_meu_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I live in a 7a hardiness area.
    It is possible to grow sicana as an anual?

• bayoumagnolia
    13 years ago

You can order cassabanana seeds from Tradewinds Fruit or Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. I got mine last year from Tradewinds Fruit. Shipping is free if you order at least $7.50 worth of seeds (not hard to do if you are an addicted gardener like me). All the seeds germinated and grew just fine. I ordered some more for this season.

• pjames
    13 years ago

Sounds like an interesting plant. I wonder why we do not hear more about people growing it?

Sponsored