Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

What to plant in containers with lilies

I have some short variety Lilies (Garden Party). I will plant some in the main perennial garden with all my other lilies, but I'd like to try some in pots too. I know a lot of people grow them in pots but I don't know if they are using them alone or with other plants, like annuals.

What do you plant in with these? When they are done blooming there will be nothing to look at. What will grow to hide the ripening foliage by that stage? I have some cannas (tall, the President) and some short border dahlias I could use too.

Or do you just remove them from the pot and transfer them to the garden when finished blooming?

Comments (10)

• liz_thomas92
    17 years ago

I did a lily trade with my mom for potted lilies. I specifically asked her to plant some of her verbena in the pot with the lilies. This verbena is actually evergreen here, has pretty leaves, and blooms all summer long. Plus it drapes out of the pot, or hopefully it will.

I think some of the low-growing sedums would probably do nicely too. Or mints, although they're really vigorous and rarely evergreen. If I'm keeping a potted plant I hate for it to look completely dead in the winter.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the response, lystessa. I'm bumping this in hopes of getting more input. Especially since I bought 40 more yesterday. C'mon, guys, I know some of you plant other things in pots with lilies!

I had not actually thought about a permanent planting: I was thinking more along the lines of annuals. I was assuming I'd have to dig the lilies out of the pots in the fall and put them in the garden (or something?!) I'm afraid I couldn't keep them in pots in our cold Zone 5 winters. I lost a few pots last winter when I couldn't find any more room in the garage to store them. They had dirt in them but no plants. They shattered or flaked apart. If there is a way to keep lilies in pots successfully I hope someone will let me know.

I was thinking of annuals that would provide some bloom before the lilies started, then something else that would maybe climb up the leaves and flower when the lilies were done. Some thing that I would just discard in the fall when frost came and I would need to get the bulbs out.

• alpiner
    16 years ago

We over winter about a dozen tubs of asiatic lilies. If some didn't survive in your zone 5 it was because of the type (are they orientals?) or too much moisture, etc.

I put moderate size annuals towards the inside of the pots and lower hanging ones around the perimeters. Nothing too bright so they won't overwhelm the lilies when in bloom. This can include the standard geraniums, petunias, allysum, etc, but light colours. You can also use things like grape tomatoes and so on. The key is to let the lilies put on their own show.

The timing of the blooms is something to kep in mind. Our ones in the tubs bloom about 3 weeks before those in the ground.

Original Author
    16 years ago

I planted most of the bulbs in the garden today and held back certain colors for the pots. Must be the warmer soil in the pots that makes them bloom faster. That'll be nice: I get to see the same flowers for an extended time!

alpiner, where do you overwinter your pots full of lilies?

• njoynit
    16 years ago

I've wondered the same thing...but mine are growing inside a tractor tire I painted blue.

I can't even find my post to see what new answers have appeared.the tire is 16 inches tall.I think someone said some kind of daisy,but not shasta but its white.I've also had these growing here this is year #3.....so will I need to divide them to keep them haveing room soon?And whens best to do this?

As to overwintering in your zone..I lived in Indpls for 11 yrs.I had some beside porch steps.the easter lilly ones& had some astic beside gate.I mulched them with 9 inches or better of pinebark mulch.I had some mums that we're in pots though& I had them under the back deck for winter up against house...mulched.pine bark.DO NOT use straw.it attracts mice(the deck kept some of the snow off...at least most of it anyway& they stayed dryer& away from icesickles.)

• petrushka (7b)
    14 years ago

i put my orientals in a pot with english ivy - they both overwintered on the balcony wrapped in bubble plastic and covered with a plastic dome dish in the center. i sort of left ivy free to dangle on the sides to get some light. you could stick some fall decorations in the pot too to pretty it up. it all survived and i had fat stalks in april and big buds by may - now in full bloom. a full month earlier, i think, then usual. i actually like tall stems in the middle of the pot, i sort of pile up ivy stems towards them and it all looks quite nice thru the season.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I was surprised to see my old post turn up! I planted some asiatics in a big fiberglass pot in 07. When fall came I got busy and actually forgot about them. In early spring I remembered: thinking, "Oh gosh, too bad: they must have froze and rotted." Imagine my surprise to see them popping up in the container is April! They had had no water and full exposure over the winter. Tough guys! They bloomed nicely in 08. Fewer flowers than the same variety in the garden, but considering they had had no water all winter, not bad.

This spring they have increased in the same container and I see more small stems from new bulblets. They are forming buds now. They are shorter than the same variety in the garden, and with fewer buds: maybe 3 vs 8 buds.

• handymandy_gardener
    14 years ago

I have grown and over wintered Lilys in my area for 23 years I don't put any thing in with them, I place them on my deck and leave them there untill the flowers die down,I then remove them to a shady spot and forget them untill Oct,I then share them with friends repot my half, place them in the garage untill my 12Ft, of snow has gone then bring them out leave them alone untill bloom time and repeat the performance, the blooms are great and they just keep growing and breeding. I often Joke that I should sell them as grown and bred in the North,If at any time I have a sick lily I dig it up and give it the same treatment for a couple of years, then place them back in the garden

I have photos if any one is interested

Mandy

• littlem_2007
    14 years ago

hi, i grow only lilies in my pots and i also over winter them in the pots. in the fall, i put the pots on the verandah close to the house and not bother with them until spring when they start to emerge. then i put them to the edge of the verandah to get some sun. i start to water them when they are a few inches tall or when i feel i should. so far so good.
    sue

• Virginia
    14 years ago

I overwinter my pots of lilies in the attic. It never gets below freezing up there, but stays cold enough that the bulbs are completely dormant. It sure is a lot easier than trying to fit one more pot into our crowded garage!

Ginny

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH