Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginamaegrow

Sugar snap peas not flowering?

ginamaegrow
9 years ago

I planted a bunch of sugar snap peas on Aug 1st. I live in zone 5b and we had a very mild August and the temps have already dropped considerably over the past few weeks. My peas are now all at least 2-5 feet tall and are almost to the top of my teepee. They grow really fast and look super healthy. BUT not a single one has flowered or produced anything. I water every other day or assoon as the soil looks the slightest bit dry. Is there something I can do to help them begin to flower? Winter's coming early this year so I am hoping for a harvest of these babies I have put so much love into! Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

They look rather etiolated. Are they in shady spot? Or have you fertilised them? Those factors could inhibit flowering.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 6:05

• ginamaegrow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are in the sun for a bit in the AM and then the whole afternoon... I put in a fertilizer spike in the middle of the teepee at planting but I was under the impression that sugar snap peas don't require much fertilizer if any at all. I worked the soil at planting with compost and a small bit of peat moss.
    Anything else I can do to help them along?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

If you planted them August 1, you should not expect blossoms until some time in October. They do slow down in decreasing daylight. That variety in spring planting takes 2.5 months to usable peas.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

ginamaegrow - when I asked if you had fertilised I meant that if you had it could have a negative effect. You're right. They don't need much.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I had a problem with my snap peas this year, but it was the birds eating the tops and so never could get to blooming stage...here it's the middle of September and they've decided to put forth flowers...

I think the OP planted too late, by at least one month. Better luck next year.

• ginamaegrow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was told that snap peas were a cool weather crop that could be planted in spring or fall.. I just did not expect our cool temps to appear so early in the "fall" season! Frost advisory for tonight and tom night! If this is just fluke I think the peas will do ok through a light frost.. I just want to get them to October when I hope they will possibly bloom.. The maturity date on package I found says 60 to 70 days.. If so I should hopefully see some peas by early to mid October, fingers crossed the weather holds out! C:

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Peas do like cool weather more than hot, but come Fall time, you also have less sunlight, and I don't know about other zones, but powdery mildew sets in around that time too. It's much better to plant in early Spring.

• Nathalie Kuoch
    6 years ago

My plant (sugar snap peas) is already more than 1 meter high, has big leaves, but only has 2 flowers and 2 pods (that I already ate :)).

What is funny is that behind the big plant, you can see another one, that I planted at the same time but separately because it was kind of dying, and there was no room left in the main pot anyway. And now, even though it didn't grow much and still looks like it's dying (all yellow), it actually has more pods than the big healthy one.

What can I do to have more pods on my big grown plant?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

We need more information, preferably including a picture. Firstly, what is your location and are these indoors or out? If indoors a metre in height and few flowers would suggest lack of light and/or excessive fertilising.

• Nathalie Kuoch
    6 years ago

Don't you see the picture on my previous comment?

I'm in Mountain View CA. They are out on my balcony.

Sun is fully on them from 12pm til 3pm.

Is it possible that the plant is using too much energy trying to grow all the leaves? Should I try to cut the tops?

Also, how often do you think I should water it?

Thanks!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Right, I see the picture now. I was on a train before so maybe that's why the pix weren't getting through. I would not cut the tops off. Peas are short lived anyway and don't produce a huge crop per plant. I grow a fifteen foot row for two people to have peas four or five times. They are annuals and the flowering period is relatively short. My best guess is that yours are perhaps overcrowded, possibly leading to etiolation. And maybe overfed? But to be honest they look pretty healthy. You can only be patient. There's nothing you can do to make them produce more. Remember you can use the shoots and tendrils in salads and stir fries, even if you don't get many peas.

• User
    6 years ago

I notice lots of sun gets em going. They are currently popping up outside and get to about 3 feet before I see flowers. goo soil, lots of sun and water when you notice the leaves just starting to droop. TOPPING DOES HELP, varies on the space you are growing in.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida