Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ty333

greasy beans,cutshort beans

ty333
13 years ago

I would like to trade for greasy or cutshort beans, I have cherokee, kentucky wonder ,rattle snake, ideal market and purple podded pole beans for trade. I've heard so many good things about these old varieties, it would be nice to try them.

Thanks, Ty

Comments (4)

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Ty, you might find someone wanting to trade. But I'd recommend that you go either to Sandhill Preservation Center or Sustainable Mountain Agriculture, and order a packet. It won't cost you that much more than in a trade, and you'll be able to pick from a much greater selection. Sustainable Mountain Agriculture, particularly, has great histories and pictures of the beans offered. Their prices may seem a bit steep. But one receives a very good sized packet. As one who has saved seed for over 25 years now, I've come to the conclusion that when I want a new variety, it is worth paying for exactly what I want, rather than "mucking around" for a couple years before finding it.

Hope this helps.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainable Mountain Agriculture

• ty333
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, but you never know what you might find if you don't look.Plus trading seed is fun. Thanks, Ty

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Well have fun! I guess, over the years, I've come up with some unique/new varieties that way.

George

• galina
    13 years ago

Yes I agree with both of you. When I want something specific, I'll order it, because for a seedsaver the initial cost of a packet pales into insignificance. Swapping on the other hand is fun and you never know what turns up. Wonderful for experiencing new varieties you would have never known about, had it not been for a seed swap. But it isn't a source for specific cultivars unless you happen to strike it lucky.

A friend in the USA ordered some beans for me from Bill Best and, having grown them in a very different climate and not expecting too much, I am delighted with the results. I also would like to endorse him and his Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center for excellent seeds.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets