Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Anyone growing Winged Beans?

ruthz
12 years ago

I just ordered seeds for winged beans from Baker's.

All parts of the plant are supposed to be good to eat.

If your growing these, I'd love any tips you can give me.

Comments (9)

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

Hi RuthZ - I grew some this past summer in middle GA. They didn't like heat and that was a real problem. I planted them in April and saw only leaves until Sept. when I got a few beans. I wasn't impressed with the foliage for taste. The beans were tasty enough, but more for variety. I wish I'd liked them more. Hope you're more successful!

Cindy

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

Hi RuthZ - I grew some this past summer in middle GA. They didn't like heat and that was a real problem. I planted them in April and saw only leaves until Sept. when I got a few beans. I wasn't impressed with the foliage for taste. The beans were tasty enough, but more for variety. I wish I'd liked them more. Hope you're more successful!

Cindy

• denninmi
    12 years ago

They're more of a curiosity than anything very useful, IMHO, mainly because you only get a small handful of pods.

A plant I actually found more useful and productive was the Japanese Sword Bean -- kind of looks like a snow pea on steroids:

{{gwi:1036527}}

Kitizawa sells 2 varieties of these, although I saw no difference between them in the beans, one has white flowers and seeds and one burgundy/brownish.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

darn, and I've already ordered them.
    The Japanese Sword Bean looks pretty flat. I assume you eat the pod and if you want seeds jut leave them on the vine to dry.
    Does it taste like snow peas?

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was looking thru my seed stach today and I believe I have seeds for the Japanese Sword bean.
    I received them in a trade labeled canavalia gladiata Jack Bean.
    There are 7 very large brown/red beans.
    I'm excited that I have them.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    12 years ago

Hi, Ruthz, I grew the winged beans last summer. I actually prefered the flavor of the leaves to that of the beans, but I never quite felt like I had gotten the cooking right. Unfortunately, the leaves are pretty darn fibrous, even fairly new ones. They are daylight sensitive and won't flower until late summer. The flowers are fun to eat, taste kind of mushroomy. The beans are definitely best picked small. I did dig the root but never got around to trying it. They make a pretty big root. The vines are pretty vigorous, you'll want a sturdy trellis. Overall easy to grow, hard to figure out how to eat and have them be tasty. Cheers!

• chaman
    12 years ago

As sunnibel mentioned Winged beans are daylight sensitive.Scientists have developed day neutral seeds of Winged beans.If you bought day neutral seeds you should not have any problem.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

The Japanese Sword Beans look like a giant snow pea pod, but the flavor is basic green bean type flavor.

• shebear
    12 years ago

I notice quite few of them growing in the Asian Dallas Community Gardens. They would be the folks to ask about growing and preparing them. Try emailing GICD (Gardeners In Community Development) and see if anyone can tell you about them.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals