Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgchow_gw

only half of japanese maple leafing out

jgchow
11 years ago

I've had a japanese maple for about 10 years in a pot. This is the first year that it has not fully leafed out. In the attached photo, you can see that only about a third to half of the tree has leafed out. There are no signs of life on the other part of the tree. Is this because the tree needs to be repotted? It's currently in a 20 gallon pot (it was 5 gallons when I got it). I've repotted it twice while I've had it. If I plant it in the ground should I remove the "dead" part, or will it revive? Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (4)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

oops! you forgot the photo!

• jgchow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jean - hopefully it is here now.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Japanese maples are prone to an assortment of fungal issues that can cause dieback. Also, containerized maples are more vulnerable to winter cold than their cousins planted inground......although I doubt that's an issue in CA :-)

There is no sure way to determine from the photo what the exact problem is. If there are no viable buds on the naked portion, it is fair to assume that is dead wood and can be removed. Ideally, taking this in to a better nursery (one that specializes in JM's) or to your local extension office for an accurate diagnosis would be most helpful.

I have to tell you I do not hold out good feelings about the damage showing. It looks a lot like a usually fatal ailment called verticillium wilt. While not common in containerized maples, it can happen.

Do whatever is necessary to have the problem diagnosed by professionals. VW can have a long range impact on plant selection and most specifically, on how or where you can add JM's in your garden.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

What kind of soil is in that pot and how is the drainage? In addition to what gardengal mentioned, a root problem may be added to the list of suspects.

tj

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm