Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_sw_va_mts

What's bloming?

Kathy_sw_va_mts
19 years ago

This warm winter has some strange effects. My snowdrops are blooming as are two of my helibores. What strange things are happening in your garden?

Comments (36)

• carol23_gw
    19 years ago

One Helleborus niger is flowering, some snowdrops and Helleborus foetidus.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    19 years ago

A single dandelion bloomed for me:) How come all I get are weeds?

• Lauren Clear
    19 years ago

I saw a field full of robins in Northumberland County

• vladpup
    19 years ago

G'Day!
    - Dandilions galore here. And henbit/pennyroyal (which weed it is depends on who is IDing it; looks a bit like hardy geranium with wee pruple flowers.)
    - And the strawberries are blooming again!
    - Daffodil and iris leaves are up. Is this a weird weather winter or what?
    -happy gardening,
    -vlad

• rosewomann
    19 years ago

winter jasmine.

• alfie_md6
    19 years ago

Henbit.

• collectordi
    19 years ago

I've got snowdrops and hellebores and I've seen trees blooming in pink and white in D.C. and Fairfax.

• kathicville
    19 years ago

My neighbor next door has several beautiful blooms on his camellia. And another neighbor's 20' long bank of winter jasmine is blooming its head off.....I have crocuses and early daffodils (Rijnveld's and February Gold) on their way up, but nobody is close to blooming yet. We're supposedly going to get hit with 'real' winter temps later this week. I'm a little worried about some of my daylilies, which are showing a bit of green right at soil level. I hope the temp drop will convince them to sit tight for at least another eight weeks!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

There are some Cherry trees in back of my building at work that have a few flowers. But then again, those silly things bloom on and off all year long, no matter what the season or weather. ;-)

• watergal
    19 years ago

No flowers here. :( A few daffodil and iris leaves poking up, and I think I see buds on the azaleas.

• beth_b_kodiak
    19 years ago

Could not find any blooms but there were TWO frogs at the edge of the pond this afternoon.Hope the snakes are still asleep ;0)

• azaleaphile
    19 years ago

At the Natl. Arb. last weekend I saw a bunch of snowdrops and some bushy shrub with yellow flowers that blooms on bare wood (no tag, of course, but it wasn't a Corylopsis and probably not a witchhazel). Edgeworthia? This warm weather stinks --- what happened to a real winter? I'm expecting bark split galore when the temperature plummets the next few days .

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

Yellow shrub/small tree at the arboretum is probably Chimonanthes praecox/wintersweet. They've a couple of nice ones (or did the last time I was there) up by the terrace off the main building, and they smell gorgeous. The Japanese apricot (Prunus mume) should be in bloom also.
    Here in Herndon I have two species of crocus, and haven't seen anything else yet.

• robertbirder
    19 years ago

first daffodil opened today. not even a sign of crocus or snowdrop leaves, though. weird....

• latami
    19 years ago

Pansies of course, snowdrops, heath (all winter), no dandelions, thankfully.

• Kurt5
    19 years ago

Cyclamen.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    19 years ago

My first snowdrop opened -- a bit nicer than seeing dandelions! Also my heathers have been blooming, forgot about those.

In my neighborhood there is an Autumn flowering Higan Cherry tree that keeps on going -- Prunus subhirtella var. 'Autumnalis'.

• bengz6westmd
    19 years ago

A couple dandelions several days ago. Frozen solid now.

• aka_peggy
    19 years ago

My cyclamen is in full bloom...if indoor plants count. I have an orchid that's blooming also. It's never before bloomed in the winter. I saw a forsythia in bloom the other day. That was wierd.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    19 years ago

Saw forsythia in bloom in my n.central Carroll County neighborhood.

• WashingtonGardener
    19 years ago

My two Heather bushes are blooming away.

My Winter Jasmine is just starting to open up - however, a cable installer came and stepped on it a few days ago :-( So may be a bit delayed.

No Snowdrops yet - but I'm looking forward to them!

Inside, I have several African Violets going. Also, Primroses - one from Whole Foods on a tall flower stalk was a bargain at $1.99 (two plants in one pot) and just beautiful!

Finally, I'm forcing a variety of bulbs - just took them out of cold storage so hoping them hit bloom around mid-February -- which is the low-point of the gardening year for me.

• gardengranma
    19 years ago

I saw a slug and promptly ordered more sluggo. When it came the ground was frozen. Nothing blooming here.

• lvmygrdn
    19 years ago

A slug? I detest those little buggers. Nothing blooming here.
    It's going to be a bright and sunny day. The birds are having a field day at the feeders. Can spring be far behind?

• lvmygrdn
    19 years ago

Okay I lied. I said nothing was blooming and there wasn't first thing this morning but lo and behold I now have violas and pansies blooming. Amazing what some bright sunshine and warmth can do. What a beautiful weekend this has been.

• laine713
    19 years ago

Sigh...some of my beds are still covered in ice...sigh, can't wait to see the bulbs come up.

• Kathy_sw_va_mts
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Daffodils have their little leaves sticking through the snow, also crocus. The snow drops rested through the newest cold but are blooming again with the new 50 º we are having.

• gardengranma
    19 years ago

My birches and hazels, and my parsley is still living, amazing. It is in a protected spot with southern exposure, but still, I was sure it would be dead. The daffodils are peaking but no buds yet, Hellebores bloomed in December (I even have a new one that seeded itself). But my amaryllis, orchids, cyclamen are blooming, and my begonias, that never stopped (inside). My Thanksgiving cacti bloomed on time and when I let them dry a little, they started all over again though not quite so profusely.

• steve22802
    19 years ago

I have one yellow crocus open. Does that mean spring is here!? :)

- Steve

• lvmygrdn
    19 years ago

Steve, it can't be far behind. I have some yellow crocus up and ready to bloom as well. :-)

• cynthia_gw
    19 years ago

Lots of winter aconite in bloom! Also Hellebores in pinky purples here and there. I need to rake leaves out of the beds so that I can see what else is going on. Looks like a good day to cut back grasses and do a little clean up out there.

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

Winter aconite, more crocusses on the south side, and snowdrops (as of today) on the north.

• bengz6westmd
    19 years ago

Not blooming per-say, but Pyracanthus (Firethorn) is expanding new tip leaves, even tho the ground is still slightly frozen, alittle snow left & night temps way below freezing.

• amanda_m
    19 years ago

Snowdrops. Tons of them. A true harbinger of spring. Right when I think I can't take it anymore and winter will last forever and I'm going to have to do something drastic I see those snowdrops and know that although it is horrid and gray and cold outside, spring will come.
    Hellobores, the green kind. They look kind of raggedy this year because of the snow and the fact that my stupid cocker spaniel uses them as his favorite wee stop.

• sfmiller
    19 years ago

Snowdrops for several weeks in warm microclimates. Snow crocus just started over the weekend. A few pathetic winter aconites that shame me annually for putting them in an uncongenial spot and not moving them to a better one. Lenten rose flowers are up but not open, ditto a few early daffs near the house.

Steven

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Burgundy-colored hellebores! Snowdrops and some daffs showing color.

• aka_peggy
    19 years ago

>looks a bit like hardy geranium with wee pruple flowers.)

Vlad, sounds like veronica arvensis, corn speedwell. I have so much of that and tho it's pretty, it's taking over some beds and really starting to get on my last nerve.

Sponsored