Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laoleng

Whats wrong with my maples color

laoleng
18 years ago

I bought a Japanese maple tree (7 ft) in mid of June 2004 from a local nursery. It is called "bloody Japanese maple". The leaves were very beautiful, bloody red, very bright. I planted it in a sunny spot in front yard. Now the leaves become very very dark, like burgundy color. What is the problem? Is it because of the soil? My front yard soil is clay kind. Can I do something to resume the original bright-red color. Is there any fertilizer that can help?

I went to that nursery to ask the worker there if it is soil problem. I was told soil does not change the color of the leaves.

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments (8)

• stevm65
    18 years ago

Hi,
    There's nothing wrong. The color will vary as the seasons change mostly due to the presence of green from chlorohpyll. It's the reverse of the process of leaves turning colors in the fall. When the chlorophyll stops being produced colors are revealed that were always there.In this case he bright red is muted into burgandy as the green from the chlorophyll becomes more prominent when the tree manufactures more food in the summer. The leaves will redden again in the fall and they will come out bright red again in the spring and the process will repeat. So you have a multicolored tree to enjoy
    Steve

• laoleng
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you for your response. But the problem is that last year this time (mid June) the leaves were bright red. But this year since spring, they always look like burgundy. never bright-red. Why?
    thanks

• laoleng
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks .
    does that mean
    if last spring the color was bright-red then this spring it is burgundy, then next spring it will be bright-red again?

thanks.

• mjh1676
    18 years ago

Typically what we see with Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' is a bright red color in the spring, the color you bought the tree as, followed by a change to deep burgundy or plum. Then in the heat of summer, the tree can green out if in shade or take on a red-orange-yellow combination here in southern Oregon which is actually a result of chlorophyll production being stopped in sweltering heat of summer-pleaching can be used to describe what happens. Then we will see the red fall color.

To preface this further, there are multiple varieties being sold a Bloodgood so the characteristics of this variety can differ. What you won't want to hear is that the longer the tree is in the ground, the more it will show its "true colors" so to speak. Obtaining a deep burgundy plum color in the absence of visible green is what is supposed to happen. The leaves will change in size, mine have become larger, and the color will stabilize unless there are great seasonal variances. So, the red will only last a short time in the spring and return in the fall with burgundy and green mixed in the rest of the season.

Check the gallery--I am posting some photos

MJH

• mjh1676
    18 years ago

In the gallery I posted 4 threads that show the color series for two trees I have. The fall color is on a 1st year graft I got last summer.

MJH

• laoleng
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you. This spring my maple's leave color has never been bright red. It has been staying as burgundy.

Last year, the leaves were bright red since spring and stay as bright red till Fall.

i am just wondering how this cycle works , if there is any.
    Thank you all for your help.

• PoorOwner
    18 years ago

I'm curious, I am sure someone would have experienced this, I have this discoloration (pleaching) on my fireglow already, most of the leaves are partially burnt from the tips. Would the whole leaf be burn away later in the season?

Would a new leave grow back in it's place in late summer again? Hopefully, I will have decent amount of foilage left for fall viewing.

• mjh1676
    18 years ago

PoorOwner-

Pleaching is distinctly from the center and is bleaching or bronzing of the leaf. Often it starts near the base and center of the leaf. This is the plants response to more direct sun than it cares to handle. The integrity of the leaf is still intact and no burning or scorching has occurred from the most part.

With leaf tip burn, it is normally a result of too little moisture or hot winds. If the plant cannot provide adequte mositure to meet the loss, then you see this. Likewise, if the conditions far exceed what the plant can handle, then you will see margin burn or scorching which compromises the entrie leaf. The leaf will be crispy. When the entire leaf is scorched it may fall off and be replaced or if not damaged enough, it may stay as a sad reminder of what has happend.

My Fireglow is beginning to pleach or bronze at the leaf base now, but I do not have any crispy areas. Fireglow will not handle the full hot sun and it will scorch and burn. It will put out another set of leaves if they drop, and sometime even a 3rd, but if the tree pushes too late in the year to set buds for next spring due to the damage it has encountered, then you risk losing the tree or branches on it.

MJH

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022