Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

HAVE: Info on the Great Perennial Garden Trading Party

Julie
18 years ago

MN_Cherri says we should post the info for this swap here- since she is not able to-
The card says-
** Saturday, Sept 17th, 10-noon, in St Columbus Township. All perennials, houseplants, bulbs, trees, seeds or shrubs are welcome. Remember, it is the plants that make the party so bring what you can. Newer gardeners can bring snacks if they do not have enough plants for trading.
Start digging now, dig a few plants every day and by party time you will be ready to go. Bring a box to secure your picks and a dollar if you want to enter the raffle. **

I will have copies of the card available at the MN Forum Swap- as there is more info like addy, directions and phone numbers available that you will need- I could forward that to you if you can't make it to the MN Gardening Forum Swap but are interested about this swap!
Julie

Comments (5)

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

For the benefit of those of us that haven't attended before, I wonder if you would mind taking a minute to let us know the "typical" turnout, how the actual swapping is done, and so on. TIA

• lazyweeder
    18 years ago

I've attended 2 of them. Each time there were over 60 people. Swapping is done in rounds. Everyone chooses 2 plants each round until all the plants are gone.

Dave
    lazyweeder

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup- Just like Lazyweeder says- with an additional note or two- Be prompt! This one runs like clock-work and is suprisingly fast! Bring a wagon if you have one- you do have to haul your plants to and from the car, and you may have to park a ways away.
    Plants are layed out in groups Sun- Shade- House Plants ect- and then divied into sub groups- Hostas- Astilbe- Ferns- ect- When you get there- first you fill out a postcard for your mailing of the next one- then you can toss a buck in to help cover postage and be a part of the raffle at the end where the best and or rarest plants wll be "won" - then you will have to find where your plants belong and put them there. After that is done- walk around- find your favs- take notes and socialize, I met flks from Nebraska and Iowa last year! Dotty wil make announcements- lists the rules (2 or 3 plants per round,
    listen closely as Dotty calls each round. and as always- 1 plant per sub group per round)- and calls the rounds. When that is exausted- Dotty will draw names for the raffle- Then it is time to go- This is all done usually within 2 hours! It is amazing how fast this does happen!
    Oh- on a side note- all of the raffle items are donated also- so if you think you have something rare or wonderful or of special interest to offer up- find Dotty early and offer it to her for the raffle- she will be so pleased to have another item for the raffle!
    To me, this Swap is such a success because of the generosity of folks- and the willingness to follow the rules by all who attend.

• karenn3
    18 years ago

Julie, this swap sounds like one I might be able to get to this year, how do I get the info? Is my email on file with the gardenweb forum? What a technical illiterate I am. Karen

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Karen- you e-mail is on file here- but no one can send you mail from your page. You might want to think about changing your access preferences on your member profile to allow folks to send you an E-mail from your page.
    I trust you recieved the address ok?
    Julie

Sponsored