Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

how far should I plant maple to prevent root damage?

katrina1
18 years ago

My daughter is letting me help her design the landscaping for her new house now being built.

I want to provide her uncovered south facing patio with afternoon shade. To accomplish this I plan on planting a three trunked Acer Griseum (sp?) paperbark maple tree 7 feet west of her patio and 6 feet south of the foundation of her house. Normally I would advise not to plant a maple that close to any foundation. My fear would be that over time the surface growing pattern of most maple tree roots will grow thick enough to damage the foundation or any other concrete work.

But I have been told that the Paperbark maple grows so much slower and at maturity is much shorter than most of the problem rooting maples. I have concluded that the shorter and slower growth would prevent the tree's roots from becoming so damaging, and that would make planting it only 6 feet from the house and 7 feet from the patio OK.

Is that true? If not, how far away from the patio and foundation of the house would be reasonable?

Comments (2)