Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crabjoe

How much can I plant?

crabjoe
17 years ago

Folks,

I was planning on a garden of 40x80 but due to the my yard being all rock and clay, I ended on only getting a 20x40 area setup for planting.

Now I need to know how much I can plant and what some of you folks here think might work.

I can tell you I will be planting tomatoes, pepper, some soy and another bean. Me neighbor feels I can also plant squash, corn and a few other things in addition to what I feel can be grown.

So what do the member of this forum feel I can get away with?

BTW, I couldn't, nor my neighbor believe how much stone was in my yard. I had to bring in a Skid steer to just dig the clay/stone mix up. and we took out about 4 yards of just stone, in addition to about 3 yards of clay. I had more stone then clay. It was as if the builder had piled all the stone from by neighborhood and used it as fill for my yard! Stone stacked on top of stone with about a 1/2" of clay between them.

I filled the area with around 6 yards of topsoil and 4 yards of compost. I thinking, I need more dirt and compost, but my back is so sore, I can pick up a shovel!

Comments (5)

Sponsored