Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

I conquered . . .

leftwood
17 years ago

Sorry. I had to find a way to fit "Veni Vidi Vici" in. (Of course, that really means: I came, I saw, I conquered.)

But I have conquered germination of some western lily species; I have Lilium columbianum, kelloggii and parvum var. hallidayi on their way to producing their first tiny bulblet.

Comments (4)

• Julie
    17 years ago

U R silly!
    Congrats on the lilium!
    My Martagon and formosanum are just swollen and waiting for something to happen....
    and the xformolongi are all sleeping on their little dirt beds. Did you notice- they did not candle their seeds- and many seemed not to have embryos (is that the correct term?)
    I put them all in- and will hope for the best!
    P.S.- the bargain at Costco is good- but.... I chose the correct word.....

• leftwood
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My lilium martagon var. daugavense have been swollen for weeks, and no germination yet at 68F. They have been at 70-71F for this past week now and still nothing. I think I need to try a 60-62F now. They sure are stubborn. I may just have to go back to the traditional 2 year cycle with these.

Not that you are, but don't worry at all about those perhaps not being candling. I hear more and more from seasoned hybridizers that seed they thought had no chance, sprouted just the same. Those little lines aren't always as easy to see as most of the time. Sometimes they hide at the edge of the embryo. It is really deceiving.

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

I have my lily seeds (I understand from you, Rick - via Julie) in a pot, I have no idea what the temp is but it's below a window (actually the only place that made any sense in my entire house to put it was at the base of my passiflora because it's pot is so large and would remind me to water them.

Nothing showing - but I'm patient, it can stay there all summer if it has to! Besides I still have extra seeds to try something in fall again.

If all else fails I'll plant some outside this fall where my other lilies keep falling over and reseeding themselves - and actually succeeding naturally!

-Marie

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Does Lilium philadelphicum (Prairie Lily) count? I have some of these seeds in my winter sowing.

Sponsored