Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Ican't believe my eyes!

doucanoe
19 years ago

Last year I put in two fritillarias, which came up, got too wet, immediately rotted off at the ground and died. "Oh well", I thought, forgot about them and went about planting hardier things.

The other day I noticed a plant coming up in a place that I did not recall having a plant last summer. Well, it is one of the silly fritillarias! So I ran to the other end of the yard where I had planted the other, and lo and behold, there are three of them up over there!

Whodathunk??

Linda

Comments (9)

• birdwing
    19 years ago

Linda,

Are they blooming? I planted some last fall but I can't remember exactly where! Could you describe them at all?

Heather

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nope, not flowers yet, just leaves. They look a little like a lily when they first come up, but then as they get bigger, their leaves are not quite as substantial as a lily's leaves are, a little more "delicate".

I planted a red trillium last year too, and have no idea where I put it, so I hope it comes up so I can label it!

Linda

• User
    19 years ago

There are many different kinds. Here are pictures of mine from early May 2004. (No sign of them yet this year, but they are in a very dry spot so I am not worried.)

• User
    19 years ago

My pictures in the post above are Fritillaria meleagris ("checkered lily," is one of the common names). This link to Google Images will show you many other varities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fritillaria Pix at Google Images

• birdwing
    19 years ago

Thanks!

Mine are the checkered kind and I finally did find where I put them. I put them in a tiered garden and had been staring at the dirt in the tier right above them. Then, I looked down and there they were...

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    19 years ago

Well, I don't have those planted in my yard, but I have always planned on having them 'some day'. But, I was amazed to see my shooting star come back up! Couldda knocked me over with a feather, I thought it died last year when it disappeared, I have had it several years and that is the first time it every pulled a disappearing act! Can't wait for it to bloom again! (White one)

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My fritillarias are much different from the ones in your photos, Mary Jane. The ones I have are the Fritillaria Imperialis, like the orange one in the google pix. One of mine is orange and one yellow. I sure hope they bloom this year!

Linda

• crocosmia_mn
    18 years ago

This exact thing is happening in my garden now! Three monstrous Fritillaria imperialis are poking up where I planted one (which yellowed and croaked at about half size without flowering last spring.) And it (or now "they") survived despite being watered all summer which Fritillaria is supposed to hate. Isn't this one of the reasons we love gardening?
    Are yours coming up this year, too?

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

One of mine is up, haven't seen the other,yet. They didn't bloom last year, so maybe this will be my lucky season!

Linda

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets