Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Burgundy Lace/Lime

gardenbug
15 years ago

I have a lovely burgundy lace maple that I planted in the middle of my front lawn only a couple of months ago. I am planning to add some lime this fall to my front lawn. Will this hurt my maple? Is there any distance I should keep away from the maple? Thank you everyone.

Comments (2)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

This is one of the reasons why I avoid planting any tree directly in the middle of a lawn - very often, the lawn requires far different care and growing conditions than does the tree. More fertilizer, often applications of weed killer or other unnecessary amendments, sometimes more water than is ideal. And then there is the vulnerability to mower or trimmer damage, not to mention the oddity of a delicate looking little tree in the middle of a sea of green without anything to give it context.

Lime of course will raise the pH of the soil and Japanese maples prefer acidic soils. How much of a problem this could be would depend on the soil pH now and how much it is changed. For now, I'd keep the lime at least a good yard away from the edge of the canopy/dripline. Even better, create a larger planting bed in the lawn - with other, compimentary plantings - that will provide some necessary context as well as avoid any of these other lawn conflict issues.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your help. I usually use organic fertilizer on the lawn. I never use weed killers. I pull all my weeds by hand and I keep pretty much on top of that. I have a nice hedge of rhododendrons bordering once side of the lawn. My new BL Maple tree has edging around it to protect it from the lawn mower. I understand rhododendrons don't like lime either. I'm thinking I just might forget about putting the lime on the front lawn altogether and just add some to my backyard. I have lilacs and hydrangeas back there. I know that lilacs will benefit from a bit of lime but I'm not sure about hydrangeas and butterfly bushes?
    Thank you for helping me gardengal!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!