Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Anyone sell lilies at market?

I brought some beautiful lilies to market yesterday, and while a lot of people stopped by to look and compliment, not too many people bought.

I have to say I was surprised, because these flowers really were gorgeous and healthy. Does anyone here sell lilies, and if so, how well do you do with them?

Thanks,

Dee

Comments (3)

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

I sell stargazer lilies, usually at $5/stem (local florists charge $15/stem).
    Last year, I sold out of them right away, this year, people think they are too pricey. I actually had a lady pay me for one stem and then grabbed two and took off while I was helping another customer! The crazy thing is this is a relativly small town. I know where she works, and I see her quite frequently. The nerve of people just blows me away!
    Try bunching them with some other flowers to make bouquets. Even wildflowers, they will sell better that way.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, the nerve of some people! That's just sad. I'd like to think she was mistaken over the price of them, not just stealing...

I was selling mine for $3, which I thought was very reasonable. They had only one bud open, with several buds left. For $3 you'd be getting a week and a half of bloom, at least. Oh well.

Yes, this week I will try mixing a few other things in. I did that the previous week, just making bouquets with lilies in them, and they sold.

I'm actually not selling officially this year, due to health reasons. However, I help another vendor at her farm and at her booth, so I often bring along a few bouquets for her booth. This past week, I had so many lilies bloom at the same time, and it was kind of a last minute thing, so I just sold by the stem - not that I have a lot of other things to mix in with them anyway, at this point. I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Thanks for the response!
    :)
    Dee

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

unfortunatly she was not mistaken. She had come by and picked up 3 stems and then asked the price, when I told her $5/stem she said 'oh, no thank you' and put them back and walked away. She came back about 1/2 an hour later with $5 in hand and said she'd done her shopping and had money left for flowers...
    I just wanted to chase her and ask her if she felt proud of herself taking food out of my babies mouths! (I didn't)

I don't have much of anything to make bouquets out of right now either, lots of ferns growing wild around here though, and goldenrod. Last year I bunched them with white hydrangea, but it's not producing very well this year. All my other flowers got mowed down to make more room for veggies ;) I got a little carried away!

Sponsored