Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpaulite_gw

Transplanting Roses and Siberian Iris

stpaulite
16 years ago

I have a Redleaf rose and a Nearly Wild rose I'd like to move now, rather than wait until Spring. I also wanted to dig and divide my Siberian Iris. If I do, will they have time to get settled in before the ground freezes? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

Yes, I would think so. I've moved and planted roses well into October and they were fine. Not the best timing but sometimes you have to do it when you can. Water the roses well before you move them and make sure they get a little extra water over the next few weeks too.

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Yes, I think you should be fine. I have moved things into October without a problem, and we disturb the heck out of the roses we 'tip' and they do fine, and it is too early for that yet. Good luck, Helen.

By the way...hope you all have not suffered for the frost yet! Touchy in my yard...frost on the grass, flowers intact.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

I gave up on roses a few years back, but I do have Siberian iris. This is a good time to move those and they will have time to settle in. Dig them up, cut them apart and replant; they're awfully tough and resilient and I don't bother to cut the foliage back when I transplant - do it when I start my fall clean up.

Think we came just short of a frost last night; a burgundy sweet potato vine in a container looked a little stricken this AM, but everything else is fine. I really hope we don't get an early killing frost, but the cool down came so fast up here this season. Now if we would only get some meaningful rain... seems to go south and farther north leaving us pretty dry.

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Up to mid-Sept. for transplanting, to be on the cautious side. If you don't mind taking a chance on the weather and can keep them well-watered (not drowned) then you can really push it. I've planted up to mid-Oct. with good results.

• stpaulite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reassuring advice. I've been wanting to add more lilies to my garden and need to free up some space. Shifting the roses and iris will definitely help. But I didn't want to do it if I was going to kill the poor things.

So far, no frost, although it's going to get pretty darn cold the next two nights in the Cities. But I have to say, I love being out in the garden this time of year--cool, clear and dry.

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

They'll both be dandy - I've done it many times! :)

-Marie

Sponsored