Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

Two tree questions (Leftwood, if your about, I'd love your input)

heleninramsey
14 years ago

First of all, I have a red maple that is turning color, I am assuming that this is due to stress as it is too early in the year for color. This summer we removed 5 overgrown arborvitae that were planted near it, and I am sure that roots of the maple were damaged in the process of removing the arbs. The side of the tree that is turning color is the same side that the arborvitae were removed. Is this a coinsidence? Do you think that this damage will cause problems down the road?

Secondly, how would you advise people on ash trees? I have clients with a large ash in their front yard in an older metro neighborhood. I am not prone to advising people to remove grown trees, but this one does look somewhat stressed (there are a number of dead branches throughout the tree) and I have been following the Emerald Ash Borer news since I started hort classes 10 years ago, and it looks as though the ash pandemic is almost here. Considering that a new landscape design would be greatly affected by a tree this large, am I jumping the gun to suggest that they remove the tree? I know that any design I put forward will be directly impacted by the tree. If the tree remains I will be using shade tolorant plants that will not do well in the full sun they will recieve if the tree is removed two or three years after installation. This is money lost in more ways that one. Yet I am not comfortable with this particular gamble and wonder if I am being an alarmist. Any input?

Comments (10)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

Helen, hard to say about future problems with the maple. Has it been watered well throughout the summer?
    As to the ash, that's a tough call. If it's looking stressed now it's a likely target for EAB when it does arrive in the area. Does it have sentimental value to the homeowner? How many is quite a few dead branches? Are we talking a third or more of the canopy? Any cracks in the trunk? I know telling someone to remove a tree is a big step. I don't have a clear-cut answer for you, just trying to raise some things to think about. From talking with our city forester and other Master Gardeners and extension people the main question is not will EAB spread, but how fast. Perhaps you can raise these points with the client and let them make the decision. A tree that is already stressed and showing dieback is always a prime target for pests.

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input hostaholic,

The maple, like the rest of my world, is well watered, and fertilized, and this is the first time it has shown stress this way.

The ash has no cracks in the trunk, the number of dead branches is not as high as a third, but enough to make me wonder. It is of no sentimental value to the client, but removing it would take another large chunk out of their budget. I plan to give them all the information I can before they deside, I am just wondering how much to push for the removal.

Thanks again, Helen.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

I wish you luck, it's a tough call.

• janroze
    14 years ago

Be aware the EAB has D-shaped exit holes. Larvae tunnel under bark, girdling trunk and branches, causing interrruption water and nutrient flow. First seen is upper branch dieback before eventual killing of the entire tree. Most of the trees die in three years. Every ash species: green, black, and white, all sizes, healthy and unhealthy & are subject to attack.
    This info is from the MN univ. Yard and Garden publication.
    gramma jan

• janroze
    14 years ago

EAB is recorded to have arrived in Minneapolis and St Paul in June 2009.
    gramma jan

• leftwood
    14 years ago

It is not a coincidence that your maple is turning color early on the side of the removed arborvitae. With non-conifer trees, usually the branches on one side of the tree are mainly fed by roots on the same side.

The maple will be fine. The only other thing done by damaging the roots (besides general stress) is the greater possibility of verticillum wilt infection because of the greater number of wounds as infection points. The wilt enters the tree through the roots. You can't do anything about that anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Our ash trees will eventually be wiped out, far worse that the elms with Dutch elm disease. Their tree WILL die, it's only a matter of time. Insecticides can work, but must be applied at least yearly. (I think there is one chemical that can be applied every two years, but it is even more expensive). Unless this is professionally injected into the tree, this is not very environmentally friendly either.

I was completely taken aback at a review given on TV by one of the news stations; they were interviewing various tree companies for their advice on ash trees infected by or in danger of FAB. Only one gave removal of the trees as a possible (and preferred) alternative. All the other businesses interviewed only wanted to pump the trees with chemicals (and for coming years without end). The news station was very biased, and went out of the way to how "bad" the advice of removal was. (Who knew that news stations were experts of tree insects?) Complete idiots.

My whole point with that story is for you to be careful how you approach the removal option. It is what I would do. The tree will only get larger in time, and more costly to remove. I wonder . . . if the tree becomes infected, does the city remove it free of charge? Or is the home owner billed?

• heleninramsey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou for all your input...

Gramma Jan, I am fairly familiar with the signs and symptoms of EAB, and the tree is not currently diseased, if it were I would have an easier time selling the removal of the tree. Thank you though.

Leftwood, that is good to know about my maple, I appreciate the info.

I was pretty sure about the ash catastrophe, but I try to get as much info as possible from as many sources as possible, I am not ahsamed to say that I find you to be a reliable source and so your input helps me greatly.

With the Ash Borer, I have been watching the local 'push' for chemical intervention on TV and on the internet. It alarms me because (in my opinion)it comes off as an attempt by the industry to make a quick buck. Seems to me that alot of people will end up spending a great deal of money for absolutely nothing, in the meantime, they could have the trees removed and others replanted and we could start recovery. I am also sad that I don't hear more about replanting varied species of trees so that we don't end up with another mono-culture of trees to be wiped out in a similar manner.

Presently I do not think that many cities are paying the bill for tree removal, it will become a nightmare for already suffering city budgets, they will have enough to deal with in removing trees on city property, in parks, and in places where they become a hazzard to the public.

What a mess...

Helen.

• kaptainkr
    14 years ago

I have 2 ash trees on my property. They are both about 10 years old, so they aren't too big. We decided that the annual treatments were not for us. Too expensive, not a fan of chemicals, and just a hassle. What I've done is plant other trees near them so that when the time comes, I'll (hopefully) have trees of a decent size as a replacement. My kids call them "little buddy trees."

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

Yes EAB is going to make Dutch Elm look mild. That said, on it's own EAB is said to move about 1/4 to 1/2 mile per year. Getting people to stop transporting firewood can slow the spread. The main infected areas have mainly followed the interstate. And yes there will be many fly by night applicators looking to make a quick buck.
    If you check extension and DNR websites you can find lists of trees suited to our climate. Also correct, that we need to refrain from planting monocultures or we'll face the same problem again in 20 or 30 years.

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

I had my dad start planting new trees at his house about 4 years ago. Like most new construction, the builder put the same tree in everybody's front yards which, in the 1980's, was Ash. They still seem to do that today. You go out to new construction and all the yards have the same tree. A friends mother moved recently into a rather large twinhome/townhouse community. Except for a few Austrian Pines (bad choice), the only shade tree used was Red Oak. People just don't seem to learn.

Sponsored