Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dannierose

Mulch and Plant Food Suggestions

dannierose
10 years ago

I just finished planting flowers in my first flowerbed. It's a 13 foot flowerbed and I've planted pansies, snapdragons, hyacinths, tulips, marigolds, and dahlia tubers. There are a lot of plant foods and mulches on the market which I'm sure you all know haha But I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what plant food or mulch would be best for what I've planted. I'm on a tight budget so I need something cheap but effective lol I live in Georgia in Zone 7 and the flowerbed gets full sun if that helps. Thank you! :)

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Leaves make a fine mulch, if there are still any around to be had. The least expensive organic (can decompose) mulch should be fine if you need to buy some.

I would buy more plants instead of fertilizer. The first 4 plants you mentioned won't be showy all summer (though the Petunias might surprise us.) As they peter out, you'll probably want more/other plants.

For a few dollars, you could get some seeds for Zinnias and sunflowers. Those only take a few weeks to sprout and flower, so scattering the seeds a couple times during mid-summer can keep the show going easily.

• dannierose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply! :)
    I didn't have too many leaves left but the ones I had I gathered up and mixed in with some pine bark mulch I bought
    I also bought some of the powder plant food and I feel like it's doing well

• gardenper
    10 years ago

One of the commandments of gardening: Thou shalt take thy neighbors' leaves for your compost pile.

If your neighbors have put our their leaves for the city, and depending if your city uses them for trash or compost and they can be easily detected on the side of the street as being a bag of leaves, then in general, people consider that you could take it without personally asking permission, but you could also ask if there are tons of them. One or two bags, take it when they have set it out...if there's 10 or 20 bags, it might be neighborly to ask them.

As for food, yes the powdered plant food that is diluted or sprayed with water can give good results. Some people also use the granular ones that dilute when watering and then still there are the ones that are time-release.

Everyone likes the one they like if it gives them good results.

I don't know if hyacinths and tulips will come up this year at this time, but the others should be OK.

If you want more bulb types, then Oriental lilies can be planted and bloom this year also.

• dturf
    8 years ago

Hope this is Okay Posted Here The Title Sounds Close?

In Vegetable Gardens Would You use old Organic Baby Food, Old Organic Vitamins... i use grass, leftovers from last years gardens, Horse,.... and stuff from other yards... so i get a lot of Good Stuff with out getting Bagged Soil (Scarrrry Stuff). Just wondering if I can go further... Thank You!!!

Thinking of Going Further with Mulching??? Only do Organic Stuff. Thank You for Your Comments Above and Below.

• lisanti07028
    8 years ago

I would post this in the Soil & Compost forum for quick and good advice.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions