Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
readheads

Tomatoes in the ground inNew Jersey

readheads
14 years ago

Following my plan: 2+ foot plants in the ground by Tax Day may get you a tomato by Memorial Day

DAY 83 UNDER THE LIGHTS

DAY 100 HARDENING OFF

DAY 105 LAYING THEM OUT

DAY 105 IN THE GROUND

DAY 105 BIG BEEF (THANK YOU TIMMY1)

DAY 105 UNDER COVER

Comments (5)

• maxmoon2010
    14 years ago

Wow. It is an amazing project. I never know that we can plan tomato plant inside the house using light. Question: What is the purpose of covering the plants when they are outside? Will it help tomato plant to grow faster?

• readheads
    Original Author
    14 years ago

April 15th is very, very early for planting outside. The overnight lows really should remain above 50 deg F before putting them outside unprotected. The plastic protects them from the wind and overnight cold. However, when the daytime temperature reaches ~65 deg F especially in the sun you have to uncover the plants or else the heat will badly damage them. That is why I devised the plastic attachment method so I can cover and uncover by myself. It work pretty well.

Anyway all that work will get our family tomatoes by the Memorial Day. I have 20 plants of 10 varieties: red, purple, green, gold and orange.

It is a fun hobby and tastes good too. I saw your Email and responded. If you want you can come over and take a look.

• trishmick
    14 years ago

Am currently visiting in Florida, but have 1 variety in ground at home already. In fact, I always plant my 'maters around mid April or so, unprotected, and have never had a problem...at least with temps. Here at the shore we have very good draining soil, so maybe that helps. Regardless, I like your system, and imagine you'll have one helluva bounty. Haven't done it in a few years, but I used to always save seeds and start plants inside in peat pots.

• readheads
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've always gotten a good yield (even last year with all the rain). I believe in digging my hole until I hit the clay which after raising the beds 12+ inches over the years is now about 20+ inches. I also go ~18 inches wide. I go for a fluffy loam mix as best I can afford (for 20 holes).

My hybrid yields had always been ~40-50 per plant. I switched to heirloom the last couple of years and have gotten ~20-25 per plant.

This year I have heirlooms plus four big beef (suggested by the master mater Timmy1).

• reenieinnj
    14 years ago

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting