Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
datdog

Feeling cheated out of a month of gardening....

Datdog
17 years ago

I know April is a 'iffy' month at best but enough of the cold temps already. My house plants are all crying 'uncle' and it is over due time to kick them out.

So this is my month of April rant- feel free to add yours.

((hugs))

Kristi

May 26, 2006

Comments (11)

• njtea
    17 years ago

Just be glad that you're not in the garden center business. My friends who are are just dying - Easter was a bust and no one is coming out to buy.

One weather forecast I saw, TWC, doesn't take us out of the 40's until late next week, with the wind continuing.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

Yes it's been cold and raw, but it's good transplanting weather, especially for woodies. However I'm certainly ready for real spring.

• tinylady
    17 years ago

I am so ready I can just bust at the seams. That warm spell had me out in the yard and getting the lawn and flower beds ready, then here comes the cool weather again. I WANT TO PLANT MY NEW GARDENS>>>>>> boo hoo to cold weather.
    I was looking at pictures from last year. My flower beds were all up and the pool was not open, so that told me that everthing was in full growth before the end of may. I am not so sure about this year.

{{gwi:594867}}
    {{gwi:594869}}
    {{gwi:594871}}
    {{gwi:594873}}

{{gwi:594867}}
    {{gwi:594868}}

• evan1
    17 years ago

I usually have all my tomatoes transplanted into 4" pots and they are out hardening off. Not this year- I'm afraid to leave them out and don;t have room inside under the lights for everything. I'm at least a week behind, and will be even more by next week. Potential flurries on Sunday?

• njtea
    17 years ago

Accuweather still is not showing the really dire forecast that TWC is showing for the upcoming week - let's keep our fingers crossed that for once Accuweather is the more more, well, accurate.

• thorndncr
    17 years ago

Has anyone been drastically changing routine for the weather? This is my first year working on a "real" garden, and I have a few things started indoors. Can't wait to get them outside, but I don't want to risk damage with cold. On the plus side, the seedlings are located in the only available spot, which gets cold when temp's drop -- will this help harden off the plants?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Ugh, the roses are a good month behind, and I won't have anything ready for the June shows unless May is really hot. On the plus side, the rain is good, and the foliage will be nice and lush whenever it warms up. I have some potted own-root roses that have lived inside for most of the month, they have gone outdoors on warm days, but there haven't been many. I see some volunteer lettuce seedlings coming up in the big pot on the porch, that's good, I'll put in new lettuce seeds on Wednesday. Brrrrr!!!!

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

Ditto, ditto, and double ditto! And, of course, my
    carefully scheduled shipment of mail order plants arrived
    in "mid-April" (seemed safe, right?). . .at least we are
    not alone in our weather perils: I've just returned from
    four days on the North Carolina coast (to see their annual
    Azalea Festival) - the temp the day before opening was
    74-degrees, and that night, they had a frost! Lost about
    half their azalea blossoms, most of the dogwoods and too
    many magnolias. . .

Maybe it's time for us all to build our own little backyard
    BioSpheres, so that we can control our personal 1/2 acre
    of climate. . . :)

Carl

• mulchwoman
    17 years ago

Boy do I ever hear you!
    Even my snow peas and spinach are out there shivering and reproaching me.
    To boot, my pals the squirrels (who are very hungry now)
    keep on digging in the area where stuff is planted.
    Bet we have one of those years with no real spring.
    Been there.
    Take care
    Pat

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

What!?! You didn't plant any tulips to feed your squirrels!?!

• sharpshin
    17 years ago

but kristi -
    that picture you're showing us is from MAY 26!!!! not april. not march. i wonder if another month won't have your yard looking just as green...
    this isn't the first year by any stretch that we've had snow on easter.