Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vikireed_gw

Question of Damage

vikireed
14 years ago

I had a groundhog problem. It minced a Japanese Salix, a Snowball Verbinum, and much more.

I caught and got rid of the groundhogs but not before I relocated the snowball and salix plants.

The salix is still alive but it never got a chance to thrive before fall came and now it's 20 deg.outside.

The snowball lost every flower and potential flower thanks to that groundhog. I moved it to a safer and also less acid area and its leaves also seemed to get munched by some kind of pest. Now it's winter and the leaves are alltotally gone. I never noticed any berries , never got a single flower after the groundhog ate the stems and buds.

My question is, do you think these two plants, esp. the snow ball are doomed? Is there anything I can do to help them along over the winter and then in the spring.

The jerk animal also got to my black lace. They are still tiny becuase he treated my garden like a salad bar.

Comments (3)

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

Those are tough plants and should survive winter, even if damaged.

• vikireed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANK YOU STEVE_NJ
    I appreciate the assurance.

I love the change of seasons but all I do is stare at my yard and plan for spring....

• classytchr64
    14 years ago

Vikireed, hoping Steve is right, because I feel your pain. Stinkin' groundhog ate whatever the rabbits didn't this fall!

My plan is to attach chicken wire to my already existing aluminum fence all the way around my yard, after digging down about 6 inches to firmly "root" the wire in the ground. My friend says I should dig down a foot deep, but it already sounds like a heap of work to even dig 6 inches! LOL I'm desperate-can't catch all the critters that invade my garden, so I'll try anything!
    Leslie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES