Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Flora and Fauna in my Gardens+ (Photo Heavy)

paul_in_mn
13 years ago

Had a quite a few visitors recently in my suburban gardens -

Most recent was a Monarch that couldn't get enough of the hanging basket on my deck.

{{gwi:1076837}}

Since this is the hosta forum - gotta mix a few in to stay legit - lol. I like the nice definition between margin and the center maple leaf pattern on Roy Klehm. Second year for this one - looks like it will be a nice clump very soon.

{{gwi:1076839}}

Walking through my porch last Tuesday and heard a thumping sound and spotted this unlikely bird. It had tried to fly to the light of the skylight and become trapped.

{{gwi:1076841}}

More required Hosta - One Man's Treasure - purchased during AHS convention. Pleased to see it thriving, especially in this heat.

{{gwi:1076843}}

Chipper has been my buddy of late - staying close and keeping an eye on me. A little wary of me, but not fearful. Comes up and sits on a rock about 3 feet from my dog who is safely confined on the deck.

{{gwi:1076844}}

Nice display of Cardinals this summer - usually nesting in my Blue Spruce - fun listening to the different calls. They give me a few chirps - but when the stray cats are around you can really notice the tempo pick up.

{{gwi:1076845}}

Always ready for a pic - Paradigm. Look forward to snapping many fall garden pics.

{{gwi:1076846}}

Took this pic with a long lens of these monster birds. They obviously had a successful hatch. Tried to sneak a bit closer and spooked off a parent that had been standing watch - Pileated Woodpeckers. Quite playful, sort of like pups as they fought with each other.

{{gwi:1076847}}

Moonlight- a new addition this summer. Nice line between margin and center of leaf developing (look at leaf at 7-8 o'clock position).

{{gwi:1014693}}

Took quite a few pics of this bee dancing for pollen. Liked the yellow and black similarity to flower.

{{gwi:1076848}}

Earth Angel catching some shade. So peaceful looking.

{{gwi:1076849}}

This is from about a month ago, had to run and get my camera - by the time I came back out they had moved 2 houses down - 4 turkeys(2 toms and 2 hens I think) came through-

{{gwi:1076850}}

I was going to put a plantiginea bloom as last pic (will be my first bloom), but it looks to be waiting one more day. So here's another fragrant hosta looking good - Fragrant Bouquet.

{{gwi:1076851}}

Thanks for taking time to look. Please add pics if you'd like to share.

Paul

Comments (9)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This fellow showed up on my Italian Parsley. Today he is already 1" long! (just 3/8" a few days ago). He will become a black Swalowtail Butterfly. Glad he doesn't like hostas.

-Babka

{{gwi:1076852}}

• gardengirl_nancy
    13 years ago

Great pictures Paul, I enjoyed them very much and especially your desciptions. Hope your Hummingbird escaped. The chippy will really become your friend if you put a few sunflower seeds out for him. Maybe on a rock, he'll look everyday for them. I speak from experience..LOL I am envious that you have Pileated Woodpeckers, don't seem to be any here in Northern IL and we have 5 acres of woods. babka, great pic too, I am seeing several species of Swallowtails the last week or so. There are four different ones. Gotta love all the nature we see when we're out there looking at hostas!

• troutwind
    13 years ago

Paul:

Great pictures.Your hostas look wonderful.

I'm very envious of your shot of the juvenile Pileated Woodpeckers. We get them here in SE Tennessee but whenever I see them I don't have a camera.The only photo I've taken I had to go to Tampa, Florida to get in my son's back yard.

The Chipmunk will tame very well with a little effort. My grandfather used to keep sunflower seeds in his shirt pocket whenever he went outside the camp up in Quebec. The chippies would run right up his leg and dive into the pocket only to emerge with their cheeks swollen with seeds.
    they were a total Hoot!

• greenthumbz4mn
    13 years ago

Paul--your pictures are breathtaking--as usual. My favorite was the bee with those wonderfully matching colors! Thanks. Mary

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

babka - I used to find the caterpillars and stick them in jars with a twig and a few leaves, usually in a week or less they pupate and then I'd wait for the butterfly or moth to emerge - ain't much better than that when you're a kid.

ggnancy & troutwind - I opened the skylight and screen and still had to direct the hummer out. The chippers have gotten into some areas I wish they wouldn't, so don't want to encourage them too much. Besides if it ran up my leg - I wear shorts - yikes - lol. Woodpeckers are fun to observe, especially the Pileateds - as long as your house is metal - lol. Neighbor finally decided to reside after all their woodpecker problems. The Pileated has a jungle like call - so you can tell when they are close.

Paul

• schoolb1
    13 years ago

Oh Paul,what a gorgeous sight.The end of a busy day and how peaceful to see amazing beauty!Flora,fauna and critters!
    Thank you,Judy

• tomahawkclaim
    13 years ago

Paul -- I always love your photos. But I have a question. . .

Your Moonlight looks to have smaller leaves, more the size of Remember Me than Gold Standard. My Moonlight isn't the genuine article; it's a sport of Gold Standard that popped up in my Gold Standard and looks like Moonlight, but mine has leaves at least as large as Gold Standard. Am I missing something about your picture or are your leaves really small.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary- Amazing to watch the bee, great patience in extracting every bit it could.

Thanks Judy.

tomahawkclaim - I bought Moonlight from a local gardener club this spring - so what you see is what I know (huh). Could be smaller due to dividing - guess I'll see in a year or two. I also picked up Fire Opal from another gardener this spring - lots of similarities - though Fire Opal is bigger at this point - both are Gold Standard sports - possibly same plant.

Paul

• jodikay
    13 years ago

Paul, wonderful pictures! I live in the country and have pileated's come to my bird feeder but have never seen juveniles. I definately know when they are in the neighborhood. I have a hummer feeder under my hosta pergola and I sit for hours watching them. They put on quite a show! I have also had turkeys in the yard but now have a devil puppy but they might be to much for her. As for your little friend, I have cats. enough said. And the hostas, very nice! lol.

Jodi