Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Second crop of peas planted...

mulberryknob
10 years ago

in the greenhouse. The first crop will go into the ground on Sunday along with onions and the first batch of cold weather seeds. Now I certainly hope we will have a more normal spring than either of the last two were. Remember 2012? Our last frost was midMarch. And 2013's last frost was May 3rd.

Comments (3)

• amunk01
    10 years ago

Shockingly my peas in ground survived this crazy weather. They are only about 2-3" tall, but I can't believe they didn't freeze even mulched and covered. We got down to 7ð with a windchill of -5. I need to start another batch this weekend. How many leaves should the cabbage starts have before transplanting them into the garden? Its my first year with cabbage. :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I remember 2012 quite fondly. Around March 8th or 9th I started putting tomato plants in the ground. Because they got off to such a nice, early start, the harvest was tremendous. I wish we'd have that sort of year again soon, though it doesn't seem likely for this year. I'm still trying to forget 2013's recurring weekly freezes and frosts that continued here as well through the first week in May.

I am moving all my cool-season plants off the light shelf today and out to the greenhouse and I'm not going to bring them back inside again.

Alexis, Pea plants, particularly when small, are very cold-tolerant. I rarely have them suffer freeze damage while small, and they don't even mind frost and snow for the most part. It is when they are larger that they can suffer tip dieback or blossom drop when the temperatures drop down very cold.

I usually put my cabbage plants in the ground when then have about 3-5 true leaves, just the same as with broccoli. At that time, the plants are usually about 3-5" tall. Cabbage is one of my favorite plants to grow. It won't die, and you can't kill it, so I consider it foolproof. I like foolproof plants. If you have never grown it before, follow the spacing recommendations for the type cabbage you are growing very carefully because the plant is going to get a whole lot bigger than you expect.

When it is harvest time, if you have a whole lot of cabbage, remember that it will store a long time in the refrigerator and, also, that you can preserve it by making freezer slaw or by making sauerkraut or kimchi.

Dawn

• dulahey
    10 years ago

I'm thinking of putting my 2nd round of snap pea plants in the ground this week.

This week looks gorgeous and the 6-10 outlook looks dry and average temps.

I'll probably transplant my looseleaf lettuce as well. Not sure about the Romaine... the plants are still pretty small.

I started hardening everything off on Friday, so I think after a couple of more days they'll be good to go.