Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collector_pa

Ammending PA clay soil

collector_pa
19 years ago

Hello, fellow PA gardeners. I just yanked out a 50ft line of scraggly forcythia that had been shaped into a hedge.

My plan is to ammend the soil which slopes slightly down hill and has very poor drainage. I have hardwood sawdust available ( it has been outside under pine trees for about a year)and an unlimited supply of horse manure.My plan is to plant a mixed perenial bed. If you garden in the Susqhehanna Valley you may have the same soil - any suggestions.

Comments (5)

• Kathy46
    19 years ago

That sounds like a very good start. If the horse manure has not aged I would not recommend planting in it for several months.

Check out the siol /compost forum for more info.

Kathy

• bulldinkie
    19 years ago

Listen to her on that...When we bought this farm there was a pile of horse poop we spread it in garden that was it.SOOO many weeds....I used peat,sand,grind up leaves with lawn mower ,fine wow what beautiful soil.Everything I plant grows.Rich.I mulch then every spring with cypress mulch.

• blueheron
    19 years ago

I would recommend lots of compost. It's the best thing for amending clay soil (and sandy soil, too). Actually, a soil test would be the best idea. That will tell you what the soil needs in the way of fertilizer, lime, etc. We tend to have acid soil here in the Susquehanna Valley, so we generally need lime to sweeten it. But a soil test will tell you exactly what is needed. You can get a test kit from your local extension office for $6.00.

• sween
    19 years ago

Compost, leaves, hay, straw, any organic matter would be just great. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with lots of organic material. The sawdust is great, so long as it is totally natural, meaning that it's not from any sort of treated wood.

And I would agree 100% with the idea of composting that horse manure before using it. Now about that soil test; great idea, but the price is now $9.00.

• collector_pa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to all who responded. The manure is well aged as is the sawdust. Took your advice and went to the soil forum. Already have the soil tests and I am ready to go.Also have a compost pile - looks like I am in business!

Sponsored