Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldawn0511

How to choose the right potting soil?

MelDawn0511
10 years ago

Good afternoon,

How do you know if you are buying good potting soil? I bought some that was very cheap, but it started to mold before I could use it and my sister in law said it smelled like diesel fuel. So I didn't use it, but how do I go about making sure im buying good soil?

Comments (9)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

MelDawn, I notice you live west of Ft. Smith. I live south of Ft. Smith and buy LC1 at the Farmers Co-op, ($13.95), Miracle Gro at Walmart ($10.95) and one from M&M Greenhouse in Cameron Ok. (13.95). I also get a Scott product from Walmart that is listed as a potting soil, I use it more for a filler because it is cheaper than the others, at about $7.95 per bag, it is most course of all that I use

The potting mix at M%M is the finest, LC1 is the next and Miracle Gro, then Scott most course. I can make them all work, but usually mix to match what I want.

I have had trouble with the very cheap stuff.

• helenh
    10 years ago

What I buy is called potting mix and has no soil. Miracle Grow is a soil less mix. Anything that is really soil is too heavy I think. Some people must make those work because they are still selling that cheap stuff. I buy bags of pine bark mulch not nuggets and sometimes put it in the bottom of big pots or whiskey barrels so I don't have to buy so much of the expensive stuff. I sometimes mix in some perlite for things that rot easily and want good drainage.

• Erod1
    10 years ago

I always bought Miracle grow potting soil, or so i thought. I had hubby pick up some for my contaainer tmatos this year and noticed it said potting mix. I didnt say anything and used it anyway. Now im not sure if its what ive been using all along for my annuals or not. So far it seems to be good though. I would definitely NOT use the cheap bags of real soil though. He brought some of that home 3 or 4 years ago and it was awful.

Also, make sure it doesnt say GARDEN MIX. He also came home with that once and i didnt realize what it was until almost all my annuals were potted and then had to re-do them all. But, i did take it and till it into my raised bed, so it didnt go to waste.

Emma

Edit: make sure it doesnt say garden SOIL

This post was edited by Erod1 on Tue, May 14, 13 at 11:05

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

My go to for long term containers, more than one season, is Fafard 52 and I add extra perlite. if its something annual or will be re potted soon I just use miracle grow but I still add more perlite. What ever you do stay away from anything with moisture control.

Mike

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Mike, what is the "moisture control"? When I posted a while ago I was thinking temporary potting. I have never grown plants in a pot.

My wife wanted to use some of my mix this year. I think she got one seed to germinate. She also used some to put some bulbs or something in, and she said they rotted.

I bought some tote boxes and am planing on trying to grow a couple of tomatoes in them, maybe I need to try another mix for something that will go all summer. I have had no problems with the mixes I use, but I use them much different than my wife does.

Larry

• helenh
    10 years ago

Moisture control has that stuff that is in baby diapers and meat trays. It swells up with water greatly and when full of water is kind of a gel like stuff.

What you are planting does make a difference. I think summer annuals could take the Moisture Control but hyacinth bulbs are sure to rot in it. I don't use seed starting mix. I use regular potting mix with extra perlite. Small tomato plants can do poorly with soggy soil and if I put them in big pots, it is worse.

This time of year the tomatoes I haven't got planted yet are big. I seem to be able to water them too much (rain watered them) and it doesn't hurt them.

If you dump out a potted shrub from a nursery there is usually lots of pine bark mulch small woody chips in it.

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Helen,

Im glad for your post because i swear that this potting MIX has little chunks of mulch in it. I dont remember in years past my MC potting soil having that. Does anyone know if MC used to make potting SOIL but have now switched to potting MIX? Someone please tell me im not crazy.

So far the mix seems to be ok. It does say moisture control and at first i wasnt sure if i was going to like it, it seems to hold a bit too much water, but when we go into the heat of summer i may like it better.

Oh heck i may as well say it, i think this MC potting MIX is ka-ka and i swear i used to buy potting soil for my annual baskets and i loved it. There i said it. Ka-ka. Pure ka-ka.

Mike, what is FaFard 52 and where do you get it.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Erod.

Im sure the moisture control(blue bag) miracle grow is fine for annuals. It just isnt great for overwintering stuff. I get my Fafard at Stringer nursery in Tulsa. Not sure were you live but there are a few places in tulsa that sell it but not very many west of Tulsa that do. I think only one in OKC. At least according to their retailer finder.
    I mainly use that mix for my citrus and plumeria because they stay in the same pot for over a year if not more. Everything else i use cheaper MG and just amend it a bit to aid in drainage.

mike

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Mike, im near Owasso and know Stringer nursery well. I am needing to repot all of my house plants, and this mix you are talking about sounds like the perfect thing for doing that. Thanks a bunch.

Emma

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!