Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrpaul

Lady Margaret wilting

Msrpaul
14 years ago

Hello,

I have nop problem growing P carulea. It's everywhere, and I have to cut it back hard in winter. But I bought some P incense and Lady margaret, and put them in very large pots with trellises. I used a mixture of potting soil and some coquina to give the soil better drainage. They seem to be doing well, but I neglected to water Lady margaret in one of the pots (we had cool & rainy weather), so i poured a hole bucked of water to refresh the soil. today I noticed the whole plant was wilting.,...

I've read that it doesn't like overwatering, but this soil drains so well it certainly isn't soggy. Hoping I don;t lose this, because the trellis's are "twin" and it would look stupid to have one plant. I can buy another, but it's $ and size.

Any other possible causes for such sudden wilt?

Comments (4)

• jblaschke
    14 years ago

In my experience, Lady Margaret is significantly "thirstier" than incarnata. They seem to like a constant, moderate moisture level as opposed to a dry/wet cycle. A large one I had in a pot last year suddenly started wilting in the pot much as you describe. Eventually it died completely. I'm still baffled as to why it did so. Fortunately, I'd started some cuttings beforehand and planted one in the ground (it's doing well, but fighting a losing battle against caterpillars at the moment).

Apart from nematodes or some other insect attack (which wasn't a problem in my case) I'm not sure what might be causing your LM's woes.

• chills71
    14 years ago

I've lost Lady Margaret in the same fashion as Jblaschke, seems I forgot watering once and lost the plant, fortunately I had a second (which wasn't as neglected...lol). After losing Vitifolia last winter (after 8 years) I feared I had just started losing my touch with red passifloras.

I'm actually a little jealous that I don't get the caterpillars that find your vines down south. My Incarnata could easily withstand the attack of dozens of them without problem, but instead I need to clip it back from shading everything around it. Dang thing has 8 inch long leaves and pushes up plenty of shoots.

~Chills

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Chills I also lost a P. vitifolia that I'd had for years last winter when I lost power to the greenhouse for an extended time. I was in FL in Feb and picked up a new one in a 3 gal container and shipped it home. I didn't want to start with another small plant : ) It's covered with buds and should begin blooming again in about a week. It dropped most of it's buds from shock when I shipped it home. I had to unpot and ship it bareroot or shipping would have been a fortune. I think one of the only red passies that aren't toxic to cats is the Lady Margaret.

Last winter was so unseasonably cold here that none of my incarnatas or incense vines came back and the incense had been growing for several years. I'm pissed that I never bothered to keep one of each in the greenhouse but it didn't occur to me that I'd ever lose it over the winter.

I originally started growing passies many years ago to attract Gulf Fritillary caterpillars. I never got the caterpillars but did develop an addiction to passion vines.lol

• jblaschke
    14 years ago

"I'm actually a little jealous that I don't get the caterpillars that find your vines down south. My Incarnata could easily withstand the attack of dozens of them without problem, but instead I need to clip it back from shading everything around it. Dang thing has 8 inch long leaves and pushes up plenty of shoots."

Ha! Well, yes. Dozens wouldn't be much of a burden. I've got HUNDREDS. There's a 15-foot swath in front of my house where Incense and Constance Eliott have overgrown two trellises, a bunch of Indian Hawthorne bushes and one 10-foot pomegranate. All are currently reduced to bare, stripped vines. Which I don't mind since I know they'll bounce back soon, but the caterpillars are now going after my other, more obscure passis. I pick dozens of eggs off them every day, and an equal number of tiny caterpillars. Yet no matter how many I pick, the next day I'll find that some undiscovered caterpillar has girdled the largest of the vines on a particular plant. Argh!

I have to admit, though, that it's very cool to see several dozen freshly-emerged butterflies swarm around the yard each morning!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths