Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

sjn - ot jade vine ?

karyn1
16 years ago

We got our JV's at about the same time and I wondered if yours was doing the same thing that mine's doing? Mine has loads of new growth. At least 6 new branches, some a few feet long but the foliage looks weird to me. The new leaves start out almost purple then the green up some as they grow with very distinct purple veins and the leaves are huge. They are bigger and thinner then the mature foliage and are still a strange lighter green with prominant veins. They do seem to be darkening up more but I have no idea if this is normal. I know I obsess over this plant but I don't want to lose it. I can't find any pics of vines with new growth to compare it to.

Karyn

PS: Sorry for posting this here but I figured that you'd get the message this way.

Comments (4)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Ha you must have read my mind because I was thinking about asking you how yours was doing and sort of comparing notes because I am new to this vine too.
    I think that is normal for jade vine new growth. The new growth is lighter brownish color and thin and then becomes more of a normal green with age. Mine was putting out a lot of new growth when I first got it, but now since I repotted it into a bigger pot it is growing roots I think, instead of foilage. I need to repot again soon but keep putting it off. I had to supply more humidity here because it is so dry. I notice it does better with the humidity higher.
    What do you feed yours? I have just been using the normal MG but I heard they like acidic soil so have been thinking about changing to miracid. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do lol. I keep mine in filtered light (shade house. Did yours flower/ or are the spikes still developing? Mine has no sign of flowering but it is young still I guess.
    There is not a ton of cultural info on this vine on the internet. I have looked... I read it is pollinated by bats in its normal habitat and that it likes average to acidic soil and a strong trellis. Mine is just on a little bamboo tepee for now :)
    I sure would like to get a hold of the red jade vine cousin (macuna bennetti) too:)

Here a link with a photo I found of new growth of the Strongylodon macrobotrys that looks similar to mine. I don't think my new growth is quite as light as this but close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strongylodon macrobotrys new growth

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's just what mine looks like. The flower spikes dropped after a couple weeks but the vine is growing like crazy. I keep mine shaded by a bunch of tall brugs and spray it often with the hose. It's been hot & humid for quite a while but the nights had been cool until recently. I'm afraid that it will get too hot here but it's withstood the 90's well so far. I repotted it about two weeks ago. Should have done it sooner. I haven't fed it much. It's had some ST, B1, kelp extract and Spray n Grow. I wonder how long it will take for the leaves to mature? The red one is also beautiful. Someone had posted a link to a nursery that carried it either on the tropical or vine forum. I'll wait a year and see how this variety does before trying another. I just hope the GH will be heated and humid enough for it this winter. This doesn't look like the kind of plant that will overwinter in the house.
    Karyn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

I just repotted mine up again 2 days ago. I have noticed today many new 2 inch growths starting in the crotches of the branches. So it must be happier. Dont worry about getting too hot there lol. It was 110 here yesterday and is gonna be hotter today. Mine is still growing (in the shade house of course). I hope it doesnt shut down due to the heat, if so I will have to take it into the bathroom that has a skylight. I try to mist a little during the day and again in the evening. I keep mine with all the passiflora that are doing well ~ maybe it will think it is a passionflower and thrive :P There was a huge black kingsnake hiding behind that group of pots the other day and when I watered it went streaking out and about scared the daylights outta me, wish I could of got a picture... It was prob big enough to eat my half grown kittens.
    ~SJN

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Too funny about the snake. I love snakes and catch them all the time up at our farm but I only catch the little ones, under 2 ft. There's been many a time when a 5 footer will slither out from under the potting benches or other piles of stuff. They scare the @#$% out of me! My JV is still growing well but some critter has decided that the new foliage is quite tasty : ( I now have lots of partially eaten leaves that don't look so pretty.
    Karyn

Sponsored