Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaoszone

Citrus rinds for ant control on blossoms?

kaoszone
17 years ago

I usually get lovely blossoms on my pink peonies but they're so full of those big ants that I can't bring them inside to enjoy them. I remembering reading somewhere that ants hate citrus and that putting citrus rinds around your peonies would keep the ants off them. Anyone tried this? Any luck?

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (6)

• entling
    17 years ago

I've never tried that, but I have used a trick recommended by Roy Klehm: cut the peony in bud, when it first shows color. The flower will open fully in the house, without ants.

• kaoszone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, that's a terrific idea! I didn't know they'd open if you cut them that early. Cool! Thanks much.
    Karen

• gborosteve
    16 years ago

Would that be cutting it down the middle or making a cross cut?

• blueheron
    16 years ago

I think he means to just cut the peony stalk when the bloom is in bud, and it will open in the house without ants. Not to cut the bloom itself.

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

You can also stick an opened peony upside down in a bucket of water for say, maybe 15 minutes or so. Chases all the ants out and doesn't hurt the peony a bit.

• carol_the_dabbler
    16 years ago

Good suggestions.

The ants are apparently not hurting the plant (or the flowers), just gathering nectar to eat. They aerate the soil, too, so there's no point in chasing them out of the peony bed -- just off of any flowers that are going inside.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting