Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

OT: Any Motorcycle Riders?

tisha_
15 years ago

I was just wondering if there are any Oklahoma motorcycle riders here at GW.

In an effort to save on gas, we are buying a Honda for Keith to drive back and forth to work. I think it will also be nice for day trips and also for visiting family out of town.

Anyway, I hope we end up having as much fun as I think we will.

Anyone else out there touring the open road?

Comments (21)

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Been there, done that, got a tee-shirt.

Too old and fat these days. Have fun and be safe.

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

I just do it on a bicycle. Have you heard of the Oklahoma FreeWheel?

Moni

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma FreeWheel

• cowdiddly
    15 years ago

Got a four wheel drive. Really does a number on scooters. lol

• very_blessed_mom
    15 years ago

DH has a Yamaha Vmax which for a motorcycle doesn't get that great of gas mileage. I personally think it's a symbol of his midlife crisis but I could be wrong. It's pretty but I don't care to ride on it with him - I've only rode on it once down the road a bit and back. Just not my thing but I know an awful lot of people really enjoy taking trips together on them. Again be safe as mentioned and enjoy yourselves.

Jill

• oklahomegrownveg
    15 years ago

Personally, seeing people eating, drinking, reading, applying makeup, TALKING ON THE PHONE, tailgating, pulling out at junctions without looking and generally doing anything except drive professionally, the last thing I would want to be using for transport is a motorcycle :-(

There are too many idiots out there IMO

Mick.

• gypsichic
    15 years ago

I ride most of the time and have for several years

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Tisha,

No motorcycle riders in our family, but I do hope y'all have fun and PLEASE be careful, and ALWAYS wear a helmet.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a mom.....but I can't help myself. Our VFD has been to several gruesome motorcycle accidents and it is usually the folks who weren't wearing helmets that end up being airlifted to major trauma centers. So, just be careful.....and have fun too.

Dawn

• tisha_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dawn. I appreciate the concern. :-)

I'll have my $350 helmet on (wouldn't you know it... the one that fits my big head just HAS to be the most expensive. lol) and I'm sure I'll be too scared to get a scratch on it, that I'll never let me head hit the ground. lol j/k... kinda.

;-)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Trish,

I am GLAD you have a nice, expensive helmet because it will protect your head and brain which are irreplaceable. :)

Enjoy yourselves. (I do think it is easier to relax and have fun when you know you've taken the proper safety precautions.)

Is Keith driving it to work every day?

Dawn

• plantermunn
    15 years ago

I got this in a email today.

THE BIKER*

I saw you, hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line.
    But, you didn't see me put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.

I saw you pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk.
    But you didn't see me playing Santa at the local mall.

I saw you change your mind about going into the restaurant.
    But you didn't see me attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you roll up your window and shake your head when I rode by.
    But you didn't see me riding behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you frown at me when I smiled at your children.
    But you didn't see me when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you stare at my long hair.
    But you didn't see me and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.

I saw you roll your eyes at our leather jackets and gloves.
    But you didn't see me and my brothers donate our old ones to those that had none.

I saw you look in fright at my tattoos.
    But you didn't see me cry as my children were born and have their name written over and in my heart.

I saw you change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.
    But you didn't see me going home to be with my family.

I saw you complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.
    But you didn't see me when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you yelling at your kids in the car.
    But you didn't see me pat my child's hands, knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.
    But you didn't see me squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you race down the road in the rain.
    But you didn't see me get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.

I saw you run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.
    But you didn't see me trying to turn right.

I saw you cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.
    But you didn't see me leave the road.

I saw you waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.

But you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you go home to your family.

But you didn't see me.

Because I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker. A person with friends and a family.

But you didn't see me.
    I hope you never loose someone who rides.

EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE US, RESPECT OUR RIGHT TO RIDE WHAT WE CHOOSE AND TAKE A FEW EXTRA SECONDS TO BE SURE WE'RE NOT IN 'YOUR' WAY Â LIVE TO RIDE . . . . RIDE TO LIVE.
    *Re-post this around in hopes that people will understand the biker community.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Terrence,

I liked that!

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Bikers here in Love County.

Every year, we have a Memorial Toy Run conducted by the Bikers in memory of a former Marietta Police Chief and his wife. They were avid bikers and lost their lives in a tragic accident. Every year, hundreds of toys are collected because of this toy run, and the bikers make such a difference in the lives of needy children and help them to have a Merry Christmas.

And, a couple of years ago, a very fine young soldier from Marietta lost his life in Iraq. We received word that those protestor kooks from that church in Kansas were coming to Marietta to protest at his funeral--it was the very first funeral they showed up at, I think, and no one knew what to expect. Well, the Patriot Guard Bikers who showed up as a quiet counter-protest to show their support for the family and the community were awesome!!!! They outnumbered the Kansas protesters by at least 15 or 20 to 1 and they and their bikes were decked out in red-white-blue patriotic clothing and lots of flags. They set themselves up, basically, as a shield between the protestors and the site of the funeral. I cannot begin to express how they lifted up this whole community with that loving and caring support. Some of them told me that they had ridden hundreds of miles (one-way) to be here that day, and I will never forget what they did for our soldier, his family and our community.

So, believe me, when I tell you that I know that inside each of those bikers (and a few of them are sort of scarey-looking!) is a fine person with a heart of gold and a beautiful soul. I admire and respect them so much and love to see them riding up the road enjoying their hobby.

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Dawn, I got a lump in my throat as I read your description of the biker barrier at the funeral. I've seen that on TV and it's quite a sight. I know they come from all over and pay all their own expenses.

I have a cousin who is a biker. He is a quiet family man who owns a home, has children and grandchildren, and worked all his life to have what he has. People fear that which they do not understand.

I was in California in the late 60's at the height of the Hell's Angels era. We were told to duck inside if we heard them coming because they would rape women right out there on the street, and beat up men. I never knew if that really happened or not.

Several years ago, on another forum, I passed along something I saw in the paper about bikers volunteering to be advocates for children in child-abuse cases. I thought that was wonderful. I was flamed after that by someone who said her brother was beaten to within an inch of his life by bikers.

Personally, I have liked all the bikers that I have ever known. I have known them to be extremely respectful and kind-hearted, quiet and unassuming, yet confident, and I have never felt frightened of them. My son is adopted, and his birth family was quite large. The children from his birth family want to keep in contact with him and I approve of that. One of them is a biker. When he arrived at my house, in full leather, chain and tattoo regalia, all my neighbors stood up and took notice. I went out there and hugged him in front of everyone. I might add that one of those neighbors I had been having a little trouble with settled down quite a bit after that. Of course there will be bikers who give the others a bad reputation, just as there are in every other identifiable "group" of people. Somebody in a business suit can swindle you out of all your money. Should we distrust everyone that wears a business suit? I guess maybe there are some who do! LOL

I, too, am too old and fat (and arthritic -- I can't even lift my leg high enough to get ON a motorcycle anymore!) to be a "biker mama" but maybe in another life.... --Ilene

• tisha_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for being so supportive, everyone. A lot of people haven't been, which I find odd in this day and age.

Maybe it's because my grandpa, dad, and uncles all had motorcycles when I was younger, so my family was never one to be "against" bikers. Not that my Pawpaw was a biker by any means. lol They just road for fun.

My uncle still has my Pawpaw's old Moto Guzzi. He claims to be trying to save up enough money to fix it up and I really hope that he does it. I think that would be so neat.

Many mornings of my youth were spent on that thing, for the mile trip to grade school.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moto Guzzi

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Tisha,

Well, returning from Ardmore to Marietta in the funeral procession today, there was a young biker we passed....no helmet....speeding.....weaving in and out of traffic....I am sure you get the picture. To my left sat our Asst. Fire Chief, who is a rookie police officer abour 4 months out of the police academey. To my right sat our Fire Chief, who has been a police officer for 27 years and my spouse for 25. Phrases like "idiot biker" and "death machine" were being tossed around.....and I glad you weren't there to hear them!

Both these men have worked accidents as volunteer firefighters and as professional law enforcement officers. They see a lot of unhappy endings, including traffic fatalities. And, they only make comments like that based on an individual BIKER'S BEHAVIOR and not just because they see someone on a motorcycle. So, sometimes I think SOME people (but not all) lump all bikers together and that isn't fair....there are lots of careful, cautious bikers who wear helments and safety clothing, drive carefully, don't change lanes recklessly etc., just like there are lots of people in cars and trucks who drive recklessly also.

Don't let it get you down if you get some negative comments. You KNOW that you and Keith are going to bike carefully and safely and with respect for the law. Have fun and don't let anyone ruin it for you!

Dawn

• tisha_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, as we speak, Keith is on his way to Duncan to pick the motorcycle up. He's so excited.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Tisha,

You know the old saying...."The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!" Oh, wait, this is NOT a toy....it is all about energy conservation. I forgot. LOL

Dawn

• oklaherb
    15 years ago

We both have scooters. We both drive them on surface roads to work and have for the last 2 years. We love our scooters.

I get a 110+ miles to the gallon and my husband (6'2" and 230 pounds) gets about 95 miles to the gallon.

Cheers,

OklaHerb

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Service at Extreme Auto Options

• kirts
    15 years ago

MY DH bought a bike last year, I think it is middle-age, and I hope if passes soon for him and more so for I.

• Jennifer_Ruth
    15 years ago

Two of my children, son Eric and daughter Megan, have a very rare form of muscular dystrophy. Bikers provide huge donations to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. MDA has helped us a great deal over the years, providing equipment and covering the part of doctor visits that are not covered by insurance. They are a wonderful organization who don't waste the money they are given, but who also don't make it ridiculously difficult for people to get what they need. And a lot of what they are able to do, both the ways I've mentioned and research-wise, is made possible by bikers. That help has certainly benefitted us, short term and long term. Eric is 30 years old now, a college graduate who is able to support his wife and children (daughter number 3 was born this July 1--Guinevere Rose). Megan, 27, is a college graduate now studying to become an American Sign Language interpreter. Thanks, bikers.

Those wonderful people don't just donate, though. Some of them volunteer every summer to work one-on-one with children like mine, being their counselor for the whole week. Others come to camp to give rides to the kids in those things that go beside the motorcycle. Megan, who looked mature for her hage and whose dystrophy is one of the milder types, convinced one of the volunteers who gave rides that she was actually a counselor, and got to ride behind the guy--one of her fondest memories!

So some of those bikers--including the scary-looking ones!--are in fact the gentlest, most caring people on earth. It's awful to think that they are being labeled as something entirely different. I ask God's blessing on them and on every person who refuses to judge people based merely on the group to which they belong.

Jennifer

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Hi Jennifer!

Thanks for sharing your very touching story with us.

Dawn

• michael67
    15 years ago

Howdy from Barltesville, OK,

We moved here from Texas last Fall and have acquired 4 motorcycles since then. For several months my 16-year old son has been riding a Honda Rebel 250 140 miles/day, 5 days/week going to Jenks and back. He gets about 70 to 75 MPG! The motorcycles save us a lot of money on gas and insurance. The one I rode to work today is a 1981 Honda CM200T that I bought recently for $200 and all it needed was some new tires and lubrication.

Now to make this a more appropriate posting... I found this msg thread while searching for the words: Pawpaw Oklahoma

I live NE of Tulsa and I am interested in Pawpaw trees (Asimina triloba). I'm working on acquiring more fruit trees by getting trees or growing from seed. Pawpaws, Persimmon, Mulberry... I'm open to suggestions on what does well here. We already have all the standard sort of stone fruit trees and apple trees that can be bought locally. I've already acquired some Pawpaw trees (would consider trading), but I like to get some more or find out where I can get the fruit locally to grow some from seed. If you have some you'd like to part with I'd consider digging up ones as tall as 6 feet.

I'm also interested in digging up some berry canes and bamboo. Recommendations and warnings are welcome.

Thanks,

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: My GardenWeb Member Page