Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

The Insect Population Boom in 2010

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post and understand if you want to skip reading it all. The bug population explosion I'm seeing here is quite amazing and I want to describe it in great detail in case it is moving north. Our weather has been hotter than average and drier than average since mid-May and those of you who have had more rain and cooler temps may not be seeing anything like I'm seeing, and may not see something similar at all this year.

I'll start off by saying that I watch my insect population very closely and try to manage it properly using a variety of organic techniques. In most years, the population of beneficial insects, which I often refer to as good bugs, keeps the population of pest bugs, which I often refer to as bad bugs, under control and I just don't really pay a lot of attention to insects. Well, I pay attention to them in terms of knowing they are there, but I just wait for the good bugs to take care of the bad bugs and I rarely intervene. I think that if you have a healthy ecosystem on your property or in your garden, the process works that way most of the time...the good bugs keep the bad bugs in check, or at least they help keep the bad bugs in check and then the rest is up to the gardener.

And THEN, along comes a year like this year....

Here in southern OK, we have seen a tremendous increase in the population of bad bugs during the last 4-6 weeks. In some cases, and I'll give an example in a minute, the population of a specific bad bug has seemingly gone from very minimal levels to huge levels overnight and I do use the term 'overnight' literally...very few of one kind of bug one day, and then hundreds of them in the garden the very next day. That kind of sudden population jump can be hard on a gardener's nerves. In those cases, your beneficial insects may not be able to keep up with the huge jump in the population of bad bugs in a timely manner and you may have to intervene more than usual to prevent severe plant damage. Even if you do not intervene, your good bug population will increase somewhat more slowly, but you'll likely have enough good bugs to control the bad bugs in several weeks. However, if severe damage is being done right now, you sometimes cannot afford to wait several weeks.

My best example for this week is the Colorado Potato Beetle. Some years I have a small number of them and I hand-pick those first few within 3 or 4 days of first noticing them and never see another one. Some years I have to handpick every day for a week or two and see maybe a couple of dozen a day. This year, I saw 5 CPB bugs one day and made a mental note to hand-pick them the next morning. Then, the next morning I got busy and didn't do that. Late that afternoon I looked at the potatoes and had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of CPBs. I felt like they'd parachuted in from elsewhere like some sort of invading army. It simply seems incomprehensible the numbers could jump that much in one day.

I filled a plastic bowl with water, added a squirt of dishwashing liquid, and started handpicking the bugs, either picking them off the plants by hand and dropping them into the bowl to drown or by holding the bowl under the plant and knocking the bugs into the water. After I was done (and it took a LONG time), I had hundreds of CPBs...I stopped counting them at around 400 and just estimated that I had removed about 600 that day and removed every Colorado potato beetle I found on every plant, on the ground, and on the alfalfa hay mulch. Some plants had minor damage, some had major. Three or four hours later, I went back and hand-picked about 75 more until, once again, I had removed every one of them that I found. The next day, I hand-picked all over again in the early morning hours and removed 300 or 400 more, once again removing every single one I found...and I looked long and hard, checking the undersides of leaves for bugs and for eggs, which I also removed. That afternoon, I removed about 50 more. The following morning I removed about 30 more. Today I have found 8 or 10 more. All of these are in the 'new' potato bed about 40' from where I normally grow potatoes, so if they overwintered in the old area, they had to travel a bit to find the new bed. I haven't seen a single CPB in the stock tank potato bed in our granddaughter's garden which is over 100' from my garden, so apparently they haven't found it yet.

I have had some previous years when I thought Colorado Potato Beetle population levels were high, and those years were nothing, nothing, nothing at all compared to this year. That's one example but there's a few others I'll mention in a minute.

I was reading the Dallas Morning News yesterday, and I know I have mentioned on here quite often that my weather here in southern OK is more like Dallas' weather than OKC's, which makes sense as I'm only about 80 miles from Dallas and about 120 miles from OKC. In the Dallas paper there was an article about the insect population boom in North Central Texas and I found it interesting that they mentioned a specific incident where an organic farm was hit very suddenly by a large population of potato bugs just as I was here this week. I felt a little relieved to learn it was happening elsewhere, because prior to that, I thought maybe our CPB population explosion was perhaps an isolated occurrence. We have lots of clay soil here, so not many home gardeners that I know even plant potatoes.

Other insects that seem to be exploding in population here include:

GRASSHOPPERS: Since we live in a very rural area and are surrounded by literally thousands of acres of grassland which is mostly used for cattle grazing or for hay crops, we always have grasshoppers. Some years we have a fairly small number and they are perhaps annoying, but not doing a lot of damage to ornamentals, fruits or veggies. Other years, we have a moderate number and you do see high levels of damage and have to do what you can to manage the population. Every now and then we have a really bad year and they eat everything green they can find, and when they run out of green stuff, they eat tree bark, clothing or rugs, or even fiberglass window screens. I do not yet know what kind of year we'll have in 2010 because our grasshopper hatch is very late here.

Some years, I see tiny hoppers hatching out in January or February and I have to watch carefully to see if they are dying of cold exposure or something else, or if they are growing rapidly and reproducing. An early hatch in Jan. or Feb. does not necessarily mean we'll have a bad year, but it does mean to watch carefully and be ready to treat subsequent hatches while the hoppers are in the smaller instars if treatment is deemed necessary.

This year there was no early hatch. I did not see small hoppers in Jan. or Feb. or even March. I started seeing a very small number in April, but not enough to be terribly concerned about. In May, the population exploded. We have tiny hoppers everywhere. I first noticed they were eating the foliage of lemon balm and catnip, and then they moved to other herbs and ornamentals and to tomatoes, potatoes and pepper plants. Now they've moved to squash, corn and green bean plants. They are everywhere, and so are one of their main predators, which I'll get to in just a minute.

So, maybe about 3 or 4 weeks ago I became concerned it would be a bad year and I ordered Semaspore from Planet Natural so I'd have it on hand when I needed it. About 2 weeks ago, I put out about a quarter-pound of it, scattering it around the veggie gardens and ornamental beds where I was seeing damage. A week later I put out another quarter-pound. This week, I put out the remaining 1/2 pound, this time not just in the beds where I was seeing damage, but in a 3-4' buffer strip adjacent to the neighboring tall pasture grasses next door. Use of a buffer strip like that oftens halts hoppers migrating in from next door because they eat the Semaspore as they move into our property from the adjacent one. I hope the Semaspore is working because I'm still seeing huge numbers of the smaller instars. However, I think what I'm seeing is repeated new hatches because I still am not seeing any of the larger instars, which indicates the Semaspore is doing its job. Semapore, Nolo Bait and similar organic products are most effective on hoppers when they're very small, and not so effective on larger ones, so early treatment is the key to success.

BLISTER BEETLES: I began seeing blister beetles a week or two after I began seeing small hoppers. That is not at all surprising because blister beetles eat grasshopper eggs. I've always ignored blister beetles as much as possible because they often are more beneficial than destructive, but sometimes their population within the veggie garden becomes so large that I have to kill them or they completely defoliate my tomato plants. So far, I haven't harmed any of the blister beetles in my garden because they aren't harming the plants. I hope they stay busy eating grasshopper eggs and leave my tomato plants alone.

STINK BUGS: These have been in our garden since May and that's much earlier than usual. They're hard to combat and I hate them. I have both the green ones and the brown ones. I knock them to the ground and quickly step on them and squish them with my shoe when I get the chance to do so. For some reason, they seem really stupid and often fly right to me and land on my arm or my hat or my shirt, and I knock them to the ground and squish them. Apparently their internal GPS does not tell them to steer clear of humans. They can be very damaging to many plants, and especially to tomato fruit where they cause cloudy spot, so I kill every one of them that I can. I am careful not to harm the somewhat similar-looking spined soldier bugs which are good predator bugs.

SPIDER MITES: Spider mites are always with us and generally their population increases slowly from about April or May and then explodes when the really hot weather arrives in July. They're here in large numbers early this year, but so far the lady bugs are doing a good job of keeping up with them. I do not generally do anything to kill them (which is very difficult at best) and just let the lady bugs do their thing. If I wasn't seeing lady bugs around right now, I'd order a couple of batches and release them here to build up the population.

FLEAS AND TICKS: If you have domestic pets in a rural area, fleas and ticks are often a problem because they migrate from wild animals into your yard and onto your animals. We always try to keep our property as flea-free and tick-free as possible, but we're definitely seeing more this year than in most other years. We're really missing the tick-eating guineas this year after they were wiped out last year by the large predators that plagued us. I checked with a couple of neighbors who have chickens and guineas to see if they are still having issues with large predators and their birds and they are (though we are not), so I'm glad I didn't buy a new batch of keats to raise this year. I think we'll try again with the guineas next year. Predator populations usually cycle up and down to a certain extent so next year should have a lower predator population than last year and this year. This is our first year, I think, with no guineas at all since we moved her, and I miss them and their grasshopper and tick-eating habits. The chickens are doing a good job in the yard around the house, but they're fenced out of the veggie gardens because they like to eat veggies a little too much.

TOMATO HORNWORMS AND OTHER MOTH LARVAE: We are not seeing huge populations of hornworms yet and not seeing much if any hornworm damage, but in the last 5-6 days, I've seen a huge increase in the number of nightflying sphinx moths, so the population explosion is likely about to begin. I am not yet seeing many of the clearwing moths, so maybe that's why I'm not yet seeing SVB damage.

CUCUMBER BEETLES: They've been around all spring, but are really reaching large population levels right now. I try to ignore them as there are so many different flowers and veggies for them to visit here that they don't tend to concentrate their efforts too much on any one thing. In a smaller garden/landscape they might be a worse problem than they are here.

Anyway, I do not know if the rest of you are seeing a huge explosion in the population of pest bugs, but we're seeing one here and it goes at least 80-100 miles south of us throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area. If it hasn't happened in your part of OK yet, be aware it is occuring south of you and be prepared to move quickly if you see any specific pest show a huge increase in population quite suddenly. Because beneficial insect populations do not start to grow until sufficient bad insects are present to feed them, your good bug population sometimes is too small to adequately deal with a sudden population explosion of bad bugs. Be aware of that and be ready to intervene early to assist your good bugs in controlling the bad bugs.

It not only is going to be long, hot summer, but apparently it is going to be a pest-fillled one too, at least here at our place.

And I didn't really forget to mention aphids, but they are pretty bad too although not really in our garden. So, I'll say it this way, the folks I know here who fertilize heavily with synthetic fertilizers with a high nitrogen content are battling huge aphid infestations. Those of us who garden mostly or completely organically and who avoid high-nitrogen fertilizers have significantly smaller numbers of aphids. We all do have more aphids than usual, but the lady bugs are controlling them with no help from us, so other than avoiding high-nitrogen fertilizers in the first place, I don't have to do anything about the aphids. There again, if the aphids were here in larger numbers than the lady bugs could handle, I'd just order and release more ladybugs.

So, that's the bug report from southcentral OK and I've linked the Dallas Morning News article in case you're interested in reading about their similar difficulties with the bug boom there. The article is oriented more towards urban areas, though, than rural areas like mine.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: DMN Story on the North-Central Texas Bug Boom

Comments (13)

• p_mac
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Thanks Dawn!!! I had a bad feeling this was going to be a really bad bug-year and looks like it will be. The mosquito's out here by the lake are already so bad that I have to spray down before going outside every single time.

We were hit with CPB's almost a month ago which was partially our own fault. We planted them next to where they were last year. We tried the picking method.....then the wheat germ....then pulled out big-guns - the Sevin Dust. They're gone now and we'll soon be digging the potatoes...which are right next to the sick-looking onions. Next year, that space is going back to yard (more room for cars at the 2011 Spring Fling!) and we'll be moving them to the new "big-bed".

I think the little hoppers are what have eaten my brocs and cabbage to the point the leaves look like lace! I've seen a bunch that are in 1/4" size....ugh.....will Spinosad work to control them?

This is my first year to grow corn....I shudder to think about how this is going to turn out.

Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paula,

Mosquitoes were a problem here after the mid-May rains, but we haven't had rain since then so they are not really much of an issue now...one advantage of being 'too dry' I guess. I imagine your mosquitoes are almost always worse than ours since you're so close to the lake.

I like Spinosad a great deal but try to limit how I use it because it is toxic to bees. That makes it a real catch-22 when you need to use it on something that needs bee pollination. I've never tried Spinosad for grasshoppers, but have read anectdotal reports that it works on them. Just try to time your application when bees are less active, and the sooner the better because younger hoppers are easier to kill than older ones.

If it is your first year to grow corn, maybe the corn earworms won't find you. I doubt I'll get a corn crop....my plants look gorgeous but I'm afraid they'll fail to pollinate properly in the high heat. We need a cool break that lasts several days down here to help out the corn! (Some years I've already harvested Early Sunglow by now, but I only planted Texas Honey June this year and its a pretty late corn.)

With corn earworms, I think Spinosad may be an effective control, but haven't tried it.

My worst pest isn't corn earworms or European corn borers. It is raccoons and they've been climbing the 7' tall garden fence to check the corn regularly. You also can go outside at night and find them all over the place around the garden fence trying to find a way over it, under it or through it. Before next year we're going to build a 'corn cage' of welded wire fencing that will keep the coons out. An electric fence would work, but I'm afraid the coons will climb the pecan tree and drop down into the corn patch...there is absolutely nothing they won't do to get to the corn and the grade level soil where I grow it is close enough to the pecan tree and to some possomhaw hollies that the coons can climb either of those and 'fling' themselves over any fence.

Some of our friends recently have lost several mama cats and their kittens and we suspect raccoons because they're all over the place and they commonly prey on cats/kittens here. They also leave their tracks everywhere when the soil is wet or around ponds, puddles, etc. or in dog or cat water dishes. If they've been around, you can tell it by their tracks and we have lots of tracks.

A friend of ours trapped and killed raccoons every night for 18 nights in a row...one coon in the trap per night, and still lost his entire corn crop to them and he had a huge corn planting. Another rancher we know lost a planting of corn about 1/2 mile long by 175' wide to the raccoons during a drought year. He barely harvested enough corn for a meal or two for his family. We have tried to trap and relocate them, but they are vicious when trapped and not pleasant to release. I actually feel very, very sorry for them as they always seem so hungry. We put the bait cat food in a clear plastic Crisco container (the ones that hold the sticks of Crisco) in the trap and the raccoons not only eat the catfood, they eat the clear Crisco stick containers. However, I'm raising the corn for us and not them!

Dawn

• elkwc
    13 years ago

The skeeters have been bad here of an evening for 2-3 weeks. And can't figure out why. As dry as we've been. Rain around us but I didn't think close enough for what we are seeing. The c0-op said they had been selling lots of fly and mosquito spray. I hope they let up some. Bad when you have to suffer through them in a drought. Jay

• seedmama
    13 years ago

We use a bug zapper for mosquito control. Jeff Foxworthy says that plus a six pack is an evening's worth of entertainment. I would find that statement hilarious, save for the fact that he's talking about my brother.

Published information says bug zappers are not effective mosquito control because mosquitoes are not attracted to light. As a matter of routine, I mention that statement to the mosquito carcasses I scrape off the zapper each week.

I concur. Bugs are really bad this year.

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

seedmama - I would like to see some research on those bug zappers. We have one somewhere and we used it for awhile, but then we were told that it just brought more into the area than you would have without it. Do you find it to be that good?

• greenacreslady
    13 years ago

I noticed this evening that our yaupon hollies are being decimated by some type of small worms, not even an inch long. They are absolutely covered with the worms and I'm amazed that something so tiny can eat so much foliage in a short time! I was going to see if I can identify them online but haven't had a chance yet. They're so small that its hard to get a good look at them, but they're sort of a light-green/white color with tiny spots, and they move like inchworms move.

Suzie

• annainok
    13 years ago

Lots of bugs here...and the mosquitos have been vicious. We're using repellent just to tolerate working outside in the evenings.

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one in southern Oklahoma noticing a diminished number of fire ants? We've seen fewer of them and a resurgence in native species. Of course, it could be our habit of treating only mounds instead of broadcast...but I'd like to think the cold snap this winter helped.

Anna

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mosquitoes are a problem sporadically for us, but since we tend not to have the heavier rainfall many of you have been having, they're not much of a problem right now. We do have a huge platoon of dragonflies and damselflies who look for food relentlessly all day long and they love mosquitoes, and we have lots of birds (including Purple Martins) and bats that eat them too. I also put Bt 'israelensis' granules or dunks in all our standing bodies of water...like the rain barrels, the ponds, etc.

Suzie,

It can be very hard to identify caterpillars since there are over 300,000 species of Lepidoptera worldwide but Susan might be able to tell you what it is since she is into butterfly gardening. On the website linked below, there are additional links that identify known butterflies and moths of Oklahoma.

If the damage to your shrubs rises to the level that you feel like you need to treat the caterpillar infestation, you can spray your shrubs with Bt 'Kurstaki' which is a toxin manufactured from a bacteria that specifically targets caterpillars. It is organic and won't harm anything other than the butterfly/moth larvae. It is easily found in stores and the products that have it as their active ingredient include Thuricide, Dipel and Safer Caterpiller Killer.

In the veggie garden, I generally just handpick cats off plants because I have so many flowers there that attract butterflies and moths, and even desirable caterpillars like those of the Black Swallowtail, so I don't like to use Bt there. In an ornamental shrub bed, though, I wouldn't hesitate to spray with Bt if the shrubs had considerable damage.

Anna,

I'm in Love County and have not seen any decrease in fire ants this year (I wish I had), so I don't think the winter affected ours even though our low temps this winter went down into the single digits a few times. We had them all over the place beginning about late March and running through mid-May. Since the rain stopped in our county and the heat cranked up into the mid- to upper-90s, they've gone underground the last 2 or 3 weeks and I'm not seeing them as much, but I bet if it rained they'd pop up out of the ground overnight. I still find them in raised beds in the veggie garden when I'm digging or when I'm pulling weeds, and I still run over an occasional mound when mowing.

I only treat mounds in the veggie garden and in my container-grown vegetables, the dog's fenced play yard, and the backyard where our granddaughter plays and I only use organic fire ant killers. We have almost 15 acres, so there's no way we could afford to treat all of it. In the past I have used some non-organic fire ant killers, but because we have a lot of edible crops in the form not only of vegetables but also fruit trees and berry crops, I've stopped using all nonorganic fire ant killers.

We have oodles of native ants of all kinds, but the evil fire ants dominate the ant world at our place. We also have red harvester ants in and around the veggie garden, but I leave them alone because they are a food source for the horned toads and because they clean up the carcasses of dead insects.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterflies and Moths of Oklahoma

• annainok
    13 years ago

In nine years, the only chemical I've allowed has been fire ant bait. My husband tried using the broadcast stuff with the sterilizer in it, and that helped some, but we went back to doing only spot treatment after I was concerned we were eliminating our native ants.

We've just not seen them while brush hogging out in the fields which is not typical for here, not to mention we're just not getting bitten as usual, especially my seven-year-old, who always manages to find them any other time.

As for mosquitoes, we found them living in a section of our compost pile (we have a huge compost pile). We too have plenty of dragon flies and bats. I'm not a big fan of purple martins since I read research that reports that they actually eat more dragonflies and higher flying bugs as opposed to mosquitoes. I am in the process of building bat houses to supplement our natural population.

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

The "regular" ants have just started invading the house in the past couple of days so I need to go dig out the ant poison. I'm usually not a chemical gal for anything but, for ants that get in the house, I make an exception.

The other bugs outdoors, yeah, I'm seeing a pretty large number this year but not as bad as what some of you are getting! My summer squash is getting hit really bad, though, and I've yet to get a squash from them. I always have huge troubles with squash bugs so it's not unusual. I'll probably just give up and pull them all in another week or two.

Diane

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diane,

Maybe my squash bugs are vacationing at your place because that's one problem I don't have.

Anna,

If our martins are bothering the dragon flies, you can't tell it...we have gazillions of them in all colors and sizes and usually they stay down low around our ponds and garden and the martins stay high. We just leave standing dead trees in the woodland areas for the bats and always have plenty of them.

I only get a fire ant bite or two a week and granddaughter has managed to not get any so far, but that could change if it ever rains here again.

You can scatter Bt 'israelensis' in your compost pile if mosquitoes are an issue there. It only targets mosquito larvae and fungas gnat larvae, and maybe a couple of their relatives. Some folks have good luck with chopped garlic sprinkled on the compost pile and sort of stirred into it to repel mosquitoes, Anna, but I haven't tried it. I can't stir my large compost piles because snakes tend to reside in them.

Dawn

• annainok
    13 years ago

I fight to keep the dead trees. I'm still working against my husband's friends who tell him how "untidy" they make the pastures look. However, I've pretty much convinced him to keep them around here lately--especially since he saw a nest of Flickers in one over by the tractor.

Thanks for the tip on the Bt for my compost pile. I guess it's such a slow cook that they like the moisture there. We don't have too many snakes around here, with the guineas and cats.

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Soonergrandmom, I don't have any research on the bug zappers. But everything I read from a google search suggests bug zappers are not effective for mosquitoes because Ms are not attracted to light. Nonetheless, my zapper has to be emptied weekly and most of the carcasses are mosquitoes.

If you've been told it attracts more bugs, I wouldn't disagree with that, just based on common sense. The point is to attract them. The question, then, becomes does it attract them and let them set up camp, or does it attract them and kill them? My experience has been that it kills them.

There was a mosquito-specific gadget around a few years ago. I believe it used propane fuel and emitted CO2 gas? The premise on that was that it attracted more mosquitoes, then entrapped them. I opted out of that one because I don't want the maintenance hassle or the expense of regular refueling.

Circumstances and environmental conditions probably come into play. We positioned the zapper between us and the often stagnant creek, but not right where we hang out. I would assume it does attract extras, but if they die before they get to where I am, I'm cool with that.

I believe that Bt is a highly effective solution for mosquitoes. However, it is not currently the right answer for me because it requires repeated application. I have to be honest with myself about my lifestyle limitations and the fact I can't get anyone to give me more than 24 hours in a day. If I chose Bt as my solution on this much property, it would be applied even less often than I manage to bulldoze evacuation paths through my home. Net effect of infrequent application: ineffective. I give myself a brownie when I remember to apply the tick and flea stuff to the poor cat on time. I believe Bt is the right answer for a lot of people. However, for me, it's a lot like manicure products and wrinkle creams...they don't work so well sitting the cabinet.